Corsair Community

Compatibility + BAD DIMM?

PeteW

Hi, have some problems with a new DIMM I believe.. here is my current setup:

Athlon XP3200+

CMX256A-3200LLPT - 2 x 256MB (XMS3205v1.1, 0309049)

Abit NF7-S Mobo

HIS Excalibur ATI Radeon X800 XT PE ICEQII 256MB DDR3 Video Card

Now I play an online game that has been killing my HDD for a bit, so decided that I should probably invest in a further 512MB RAM.

I purchased a CMX512-3200C2PT (XMS3202v1.5, 0513011-1)

The first problem I noticed, is that with the 3 DIMMS in the system all together, if I tried to change any settings in the BIOS (Even disabling an onboard device such as the sound card), it would not reboot. I had to reset the CMOS for the system to boot back up.

Yet if I used either the Twin Modules on their own, or the new 512MB DIMM on it's own, I could make changes fine in the BIOS.... so I guess my first question is - are these DIMMS compatible? Should I be able to use them together?

After realising that, I put the old TwinX Dimms back in a box, and just had the new CMX512-3200C2PT in the system. Since then I have had quite a number of blue screens in windows. On reading these forums I have discovered the memtest util, and decided to run that against the new DIMM.

All was going well until it hit Test#5 Block Move - on Which it encountered 47,272 errors! So I'm assuming this is my problem and I need my new DIMM replaced? Or have I missed something!?

Any advice on what to do next apreciated :)

• Corsair Employees
I would not suggest mixing modules with any MB, I would just use the 2-256 modules or try to match the same part# and revision for another 512 Meg module to match them. Or maybe find another use the your 2-256 Meg modules and get another module to match the XMS512 Meg you just got.

Heh - well I purchased an identical CMX512-3200C2 DIMM to match the one I already bought, and that did the same thing in memtest, so I figured I cant be that unlucky and there must be a setting somewhere.. >.<

- initially the RAM settings were set by SPD, have changed this to manual override and used the following settings from your sig:-

DRAM Clock: 200 MHz

DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual

SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3

SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 (2.5 on AMD platform) NB:- This only worked under CAS2 even tho I have an AMD system. CAS2.5 still produced errors..

(Also changed Voltage to 2.7)

Anyway - have tested these settings on both CMX512-3200C2 DIMMS individually and they both sail through the tests, so I'm happy to leave it at that - unless you tell me running at CAS2 on an AMD system is going to damage it in someway :p:

Are you saying you dont get errors if you set the Cass latency at 2.0, but you do if you set it to Cass 2.5?

Yep - that's exactly what Im saying. Got over 30,000 errors on Test#5 on each DIMM when tested individually using CAS2.5, then using identical settings and changing to CAS2 they worked fine. Been running for 24 hours smooth as you like on CAS2 up to now...

Archived