Corsair Community

Thermal Sensor: MOBO Area

tennengr

What are some of the techniques for installing the Commander Pro thermal sensors in the motherboard area?

In my 1st build (see another thread), installing thermal sensor near the GPU, CPU and memory was somewhat problematic so I abandoned this altogether. With 2 Commander Pros in my upcoming 2nd build, I will have 8 possible sensors to place in the case.

I worry that bending the sensor cable enough to get it to stay in a particular shape may damage the cable. I've seen many threads talking about NOT placing the sensor on metal, etc. I assume this means for proper use, it must be suspended somewhat in air. Just poking it through an available hole does not necessarily get it in a decent place for internal air temp close to a particular device.

I have thought about poking the sensor outside the back of the case and then back inside the case above the GPU. I also have thought about taping the sensor cable to the MOBO ATX cable just below the RAM which is just above the GPU. Is there any other internal location that may be of use?

My current plan for all 8 thermal sensors are as follows: CoPro #1 - 1) Cable management side inlet temp middle 2nd fan (see case spec), 2) bottom inlet temp forward 3rd fan, 3) top outlet temp forward 3rd fan, 4) rear fan outlet temp. CoPro #2 - 1) RAM/right and above GPU (see above para.), 2) left of and above GPU (see above para.), 3) front case tempered glass area, and 4) power supply inlet temp. I have some comments on specific sensor locations below.

The case will have a CPU 2x3-fan push-pull setup (see CPU cooler spec) using the side location for the radiator. The radiator and 3rd party fans will be in the cable management area and the 3 x Corsair fans will be recessed in the MOBO area. The "cooled" inlet air has to make a 90 degree turn to cool the MOBO area. I thought it would be a good idea to have a temp in this "dead area" in front of the front tempered glass.

My power supply will be moved up to the top (maybe middle) of the case to make more room for CoPro, NoCo and other devices. The power supply will be drawing air in from near the top of the case which will most certainly be a little hotter due to the exhaust fans. On 2nd thought, maybe it would be better on the exhaust side of the power supply.

My build is still about 3 weeks away (stupid MOBO must be coming from China) so I have time to change things. Thoughts?

Bending the thermistor wire should not damage it, unless you try to fold and crease it like a piece of paper. The Corsair ones are a bit stiff, but that also helps with this is making one bend and keeping it in place.

There is no specification or standard for what temperature something should be 1cm, 1.5 cm, 2cm, etc. above the GPU at a particular set of coordinates. There also isn't a lot of supporting ways to get it there without making it rather obvious or intrusive, as you have seen. I would take the easier way out. Stick it outside rear of the case measuring the air leaving the rear exhaust. Assuming this part of the case is not visible to you, a piece of tap on the side or fan hub will do. Easy removed or replaced and out of sight. It will still do what you need it to -- take an assessment of the air temperature leaving the case. You have GPU internal temp measurements already. Since you are using this to control fan speed, it is more logical and easier to use it near the fan in question. This would work just the same for side or top exhaust/intake if this is the XL case.

Also be aware that each Commander is tied to its own sensors. So if you use two C-Pros, you will need to keep one sensor on each dedicated to the fans on that Commander only. Otherwise they will lose their sensor data when you quit iCUE, reboot, etc. In my XL I manage this with 1 Commander and then 1 SATA powered PWM fan hub (repeater) to offload some of my radiator fans. The PWM repeated connects to 1 Commander header, but with it's own power supply can handle up to 4-10 fans. They will all run the same speed based on the 1 control header input from the Commander, but then I don't need different speeds for those banks of three fans. The device is about 1/3 the size of a Commander and is priced the same way. I might be one of the few people around who would actually use 8 different thermal sensors, but having done it before on the O11D build, it was a bit a nuisance. This also gives you two Commanders in iCUE and they tend to swap positions. You will be opening up the wrong one on a regular basis.