Corsair Community

High CPU usage in 3.31.81

Singh31

I recently updated to 3.31.81 and have found that iCue uses between 20-30% of my CPU when running. I tried changing the lighting effects to static, but the issue remained. I ended up rolling back to 3.20.80 and the usage percentage dropped to 1-3%.

Is there any reason 3.31.81 is using so much CPU?

The actual lighting patterns should not make much difference in the CPU usage. Most of the resources are related to hardware monitoring and most of all the interface display. If you sit on the keyboard page with Spiral Rainbow running, it is tracking and animating all of those 100+ keys. If your dashboard is graph heavy, that will add up as well.

However, 20-30% is out bounds and something isn't right. It's hard to make guesses without knowing your iCUE hardware. However, what you might try is a clean install of 3.31 to see if it is related to profile carry over. When you skip up 10-12 versions at a time, sometimes the profiles don't come out right.

Go to your C:Users/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming folder. Copy the Corsair folder to the desktop. That is all your 3.20 profiles and settings. If this does not work, you can drop this folder back into place after reinstalling 3.20 to put yourself right back where you were, without having to redo all profiles and settings.

Uninstall 3.20. Check the box to delete your settings. Install 3.31. See if you get the huge CPU usage on a freshly created profile. Again, lighting should not matter so you can pick what you want. If it doesn't work, you can uninstall 3.31, again check the box to delete the settings, reinstall 3.20 and drop that Corsair folder back into Roaming and it's like this never happened. Be aware 3.20 had some RGB RAM issues. If you have Corsair RGB RAM, you really don't want to be on 3.19-3.21.