Corsair Community

10 fans (7 QL & 3 LL) - RGB/Speed controller help

HungryHamster

Can someone please tell me exactly what I need to control both the RGB lighting and fan speeds of 10 fans (7 QL and 3 LL)?

I want to be able to adjust the fan speed/RGB lighting of each individual fan which I hear is not possible if I use splitters. I also heard there are issues with mixing corsair fans and something about not having more than 9 fans connected to a hub. With all these different products and requirements I'm kind of confused at this point.

I was planning on getting 1 commander pro and the QL fans come with 2 lighting node pros and the LL fans come with 1 lighting node core. What else do I need? Another commander pro?

I was going to use all QL fans but I saw Corsair Art say that they "are not meant for radiator use" so I'm hoping it's possible to have LL fans on my radiator and QL fans for the case without sacrificing the ability to control them.

Any assistance would be appreciated since I'm kind of new to all this. I have looked at zotty's guide and still feel a bit confused about what I need with this somewhat unique build.

You'd need to have two CoPros and 3 RGB Fan LED Hubs. Or a CoPro and a NoPro. Or a CoPro and the NoCos that come with the QLs.

As for individual control over the fans - tbh, it's not worth it. Typically you'd want to control the fans in groups - the fans on the radiator, for example. The only reason that you'd need 2 CoPros is you want individual control of the fan speeds.

Thanks for the response. So you're saying that I should consider just using a splitter and going with 1 commander pro and the 2 lighting node pros that come with the QL fans?

It makes sense to control the 3 radiator fan speeds in a group but if every 2 fans are grouped together and my fan setup is 3 on bottom, 3 on side, 3 on top (radiator) and 1 exhaust, I'll end up controlling the speed of fans in a part of the case that I don't want to. Like if I want low rpm on the set of 3 on the bottom and high on the set of 3 on the side, I'll end up in a situation where I can only do 2 high and 2 low then have to decide whether I want the other 1 on bottom and 1 on side to be high/low instead of being able to control each.

Does that make sense or am I missing something? If that's the case then you're saying what I will need to get that sort of desired level of customization is 2 commander pros and 2 lighting node pros?

The radiator fans you very likely want together. So ... what you do is get a power fan hub and put them on that. That'll take 1 fan slot on the CoPro and you'll be able to control all 3 fans. That leave 7 fans for 5 slots. You can easily run a couple of x2 splitters from there and get close to what you're looking for ... 2x on top + 1, 2x on bottom + 1, rear.

Thanks again for the help. I don't even know what a power fan hub is or which one I would need. If you're allowed, would you mind linking me one that would work with my setup. It is an AIO that I'm planning on using. Specifically, it's the new Corsair iCUE H150i RGB Pro XT, 360mm Radiator.

So if I understand correctly, I need 1 corsair commander pro, 2 lighting node pros, a power fan hub and a couple splitters?

The AIO you chose does not come with RGB fans, so are you planning to switch the standard fans with LL or are you going to do a push/pull configuration?

Here is a fan hub that works in my rig (push/pull, 10 QL fans):

http://www.xs-pc.com/discontinued-2/8-way-pwm-splitter-hub-sata-powered

I'd rather count carefully the number of USB headers on your mobo, consider CoPro has 2 USB ports but needs a free USB header as the AIO.

Here is my diagram for a Lian Li 011D XL case, maybe it can help you:

Ultimo.jpg

I'm using 3 Y splitters in the AIO's header (they are not shown in the diagram).

This is the USB hub I'm using:

https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

Baio

Edited by Baio

Well, the H150 has an integrated fan controller for the fans on the radiator. So ... you don't need the hub. Just connect your fans to the radiator and all is well. And that is the best option here anyway. :)

That's ok form RPM management, but I also have some doubts about RGB control... 7 QL means 2 LNCs, so or he's gonna mix QL and LL fans on the second LNC or he needs a third... isn't it?

Baio

Thanks again for the responses. In fact, this build will also be using a Lian Li 011D XL case. I won't be doing a push/pull config, but will be replacing the stock fans with the LL fans.

Also, I'm not sure if it changes much, but I might just change my mind and go with a NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm AIO instead. The display on that thing looks amazing. Let me know if that introduces any new issues you might know of.

I'm not sure I understand the concern about the USB header thing, but I was planning on going with a ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming Z490 mobo. Apparently it has:

4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports

‧ 3 x Type-A

‧ 1 x Type-C

Will that be enough or do I need to get a USB hub as well?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks again for the responses. In fact, this build will also be using a Lian Li 011D XL case. I won't be doing a push/pull config, but will be replacing the stock fans with the LL fans.

In this case you will plug LL's RPM cables into the AIO headers, so no issue in RPM management for LL fans. You'll plug the 7 QL's RPM cables into the 6 CoPro ports, so you are going to grab an Y splitter (I tested Noctua and Silverstone and they works for sure, look for a splitter with a 4 pin header and a 3 pin header).

For QL's RGB management I leave the answer to DevBiker, has I never mixed QL and LL fans in a single LNC. As far as I know, mixing fans with different LED numbers (like QL and LL) carries weird RGB effects.

If I'm right, you'll need 3 LNC (1 for 6 QL, 1 for a QL and 1 for 3 LL), so you may go into USB header troubles. Other solution is to pick up a RGB splitter cable, but unfortunately Corsair does not provide them, you can buy one only on eBay and they are sold from the USA.

Also, I'm not sure if it changes much, but I might just change my mind and go with a NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm AIO instead. The display on that thing looks amazing. Let me know if that introduces any new issues you might know of.

I don't know that AIO directly, but I suppose like Corsair's AIOs it has a SATA and a USB cable, so no trouble here... apart for having another TSR software running.

I'm not sure I understand the concern about the USB header thing, but I was planning on going with a ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming Z490 mobo. Apparently it has:

4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports

‧ 3 x Type-A

‧ 1 x Type-C

Will that be enough or do I need to get a USB hub as well?

I appreciate the help.

Reading the manual (page 15) this mobo has 2 full USB 2.0 headers, so you have to count how many USB plugs your system will have.

As said above, IMHO it depends on RGB management.

Baio

So it looks like there are still some unresolved questions here. I'd appreciate it if DevBiker or someone else would be able to clarify.

To recap and confirm:

On the fan control side of things I will need to have 1 CoPro and a "power fan hub" that connects to my 3 LL AIO fans. Then I need to use a Y-splitter to connect my other 7 QL fans to the CoPro.

Now on the RGB fan lighting control side of things I'm still not sure exactly what I will need to control all 10 fans (7 QL and 3 LL). If I use the 2 lighting node cores I will have one completely filled with QL fans and then the other I'd have to mix the 3 LL fans with 1 QL fan which I hear you're not supposed to do. If I got a 3rd lighting node core to run that 1 extra QL fan, I'd run into issues not having enough ports.

So what are my options for controlling the RGB lighting of the fans? I think Baio mentioned there is a splitter for that too but I feel like that might introduce lighting effect issues since the effects of at least 2 of the fans would have to be paired together. Maybe I do need a USB hub? Or another CoPro that would add an extra USB Port for the 3rd lighting node core to go on?

Any help would be appreciated. I sure wish this wasn't so complicated.

So it looks like there are still some unresolved questions here. I'd appreciate it if DevBiker or someone else would be able to clarify.

To recap and confirm:

On the fan control side of things I will need to have 1 CoPro and a "power fan hub" that connects to my 3 LL AIO fans. Then I need to use a Y-splitter to connect my other 7 QL fans to the CoPro.

No.

I have the older version of the H150i but connections should be the same.

Look at this photo:

Corsair-i-CUE-H150i-RGB-Pro-XT-13.jpg

The AIO has a triple header for fans RPM management (the connectors on the right of the photo), so you don't need any powered fan hub to connect the 3 LL.

What you wrote for the QL is ok.

Now on the RGB fan lighting control side of things I'm still not sure exactly what I will need to control all 10 fans (7 QL and 3 LL). If I use the 2 lighting node cores I will have one completely filled with QL fans and then the other I'd have to mix the 3 LL fans with 1 QL fan which I hear you're not supposed to do. If I got a 3rd lighting node core to run that 1 extra QL fan, I'd run into issues not having enough ports.

So what are my options for controlling the RGB lighting of the fans? I think Baio mentioned there is a splitter for that too but I feel like that might introduce lighting effect issues since the effects of at least 2 of the fans would have to be paired together. Maybe I do need a USB hub? Or another CoPro that would add an extra USB Port for the 3rd lighting node core to go on?

Any help would be appreciated. I sure wish this wasn't so complicated.

Here is the eBay shop that sells the RGB splitters:

https://www.ebay.com/str/PirateDog-Tech?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

If you pick up one of those RGB splitters, you should be able to connect 7 QL RGB cables to a single LNC. Of course the 2 fans connected with the splitter will act the same speaking of RGB effects. That should not be a great issue, as in the Lian Li case you are going to use, fans are grouped at least in groups of 3 (I have the same effect for all 10 QL).

Weird RGB effects should come when mixing fans with different LED number on the same LNC.

Anyway if you run out of USB headers, a powered USB hub is a good solution.

Look at my diagram, most answers are there!

Baio

Edited by Baio

Thanks for the response.

I'm starting to get a better idea of how this is all going to work thanks to you and DevBiker.

While I see what you're saying about the splitter not being an issue for most lighting effects, I'm probably mostly going to be running static colors and I'd rather avoid having 2 lights forced to display the same color. Would it be possible to avoid using the splitter if I got a powered USB hub and a 3rd LNC for that 1 extra QL fan? Or is there another solution you would recommend? If not, it's not a major problem and I'll just follow what you both have been saying. The diagram is very helpful.

I'm also trying to figure out if that new NZXT Z73 AIO I'm leaning towards getting has a triple header for fans RPM management like the Corsair AIO.

Edited by HungryHamster

Thanks for the response.

I'm starting to get a better idea of how this is all going to work thanks to you and DevBiker.

While I see what you're saying about the splitter not being an issue for most lighting effects, I'm probably mostly going to be running static colors and I'd rather avoid having 2 lights forced to display the same color. Would it be possible to avoid using the splitter if I got a powered USB hub and a 3rd LNC for that 1 extra QL fan? Or is there another solution you would recommend? If not, it's not a major problem and I'll just follow what you both have been saying. The diagram is very helpful.

I'm also trying to figure out if that new NZXT Z73 AIO I'm leaning towards getting has a triple header for fans RPM management like the Corsair AIO.

A USB powered hub will provide you the necessary USB headers to commect a third LNC, of course. Check my first post, I've linked the one I'm using.

Thise case has narrow spaces in the back part, so a third LNC is not so easy to manage.

I had 9 LL fans before, then went for 10 QL, so my advice is clear, I'd rather prefer not to mix different kind of fans. Ok, QL are not the best choice for radiators, but probably this will result in a difference of very few degrees.

Otherwise you can go for a push/pull configuration, leave the AIO original fans for cooling and adding QL fans just for RGB effects.

Baio

Thanks, Baio. After careful consideration of your advice and looking into some other similar builds, I've decided to do my build exactly as shown in your diagram. Despite my previous concerns, I think that makes a lot of sense to just stick with 1 fan type (the QL's for RGB purposes) but have the radiator be push/pull.

Would you mind telling me how you have your push/pull radiator set up? It looks like you have it in the top. Do you have the bottom QL fans sucking air in and the top fans that come with the AIO pushing air out of the case or the other way around?

Also, do you happen to have any pictures of your build? If so, I'd love to see it in all it's glory. If not, no worries.

As always, thanks for the help.

The radiator is on top, bottom and side fans are set as intake, AIO's 6 fans are set as exhaust. I've used 3 Y-splitters to match the AIO's fans with the QL in the radiator.

I'm not doing anything particularly heavy with this pc at the moment, so I'm keeping the 7 QL fans fixed at 300rpm, for the 6 fans of the AIO I've set a quiet custom curve.

I don't have a picture of the front at the moment... I'm gonna do some!

That is the back part, missing just the PSU cables:

Retro.jpg

Baio

• Confused 1

Thanks for the information and the picture. Hah, I see what you mean about there being somewhat limited space back there once you have all of those controllers and hubs added. After comparing the picture with your diagram, the only thing that looks different is that there appears to be only 1 RGB hub connected to the commander pro but your diagram shows both. Perhaps I'm missing something or maybe things just weren't completely set up? Anyways, this was very helpful and feel free to show the front if you ever get around to taking some pics of it. I'm sure it looks amazing!

Thanks for the information and the picture. Hah, I see what you mean about there being somewhat limited space back there once you have all of those controllers and hubs added. After comparing the picture with your diagram, the only thing that looks different is that there appears to be only 1 RGB hub connected to the commander pro but your diagram shows both. Perhaps I'm missing something or maybe things just weren't completely set up? Anyways, this was very helpful and feel free to show the front if you ever get around to taking some pics of it. I'm sure it looks amazing!

The secondo RGB hub is on the roof... upper right angle in the photo.

Baio