Corsair Community

Two STicks of RAM have failed. Need replacement

My system was using two sticks of CMX256A-3200C2 XMS3200 256MB 400MHZ in dual channel mode on my Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard. Last week I started receiving random system errors and crashes very frequently and I was unable to install some of my pc games as well (World of Warcraft). During installation of said game I kept getting error code 38's, which according to the Blizzard Tech Support is a memory issue.

So I started testing each stick individually, using only 1 stick, and trying to install, I received errors both times still. So then I used a 512MB 3200C2 XMS3200 400MHZ Corsair RAM from another computer and the installation ran perfectly.

To double check the possible corruption of my RAM I installed the two faulty sticks on another computer and ran the Mem check program and they both came out as corrupted.

Attached below is my saved DXDIAG file in case any further system information is required.

I have a question by the way, if my request goes through to get these sticks returned, would it be at all possible to get them traded in for a single 512MB RAM stick with the same specs? I ask this because this would allow me to run two sticks of 512MB Ram in Dual Channel mode, because my motherboard will not support a 512MB stick of RAM and 2 256MB sticks unfortunately.

Thank you.

DxDiag.txt

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 volts (+.2) as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 volts (+.2) as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules, that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

Ok I ran them through memtest and only one came up with errors, the other is fine.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

Advanced Chipset Features (Ctrl + F1)

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4/Auto/Enabled

SDRAM Command Rate: 1T

Frequency Voltage Control

CPU Freq: 200

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts (+.2)

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived