Corsair Community

ASUS A8V Deluxe with 4 sticks of XMS3200C2

curiosity

The AMD 3800+ system runs fine with either pair installed alone in the "blue" slots. While filling all the DIMM slots still runs, it yeilds no increase in system memory reported in BIOS or OS. I've tried all BIOS settings at default and overriding the DRAM timings to 2.5-3-3-6. Not trying to get fancy with any overclocking just want 2GB of system memory! Any suggestions?

The first pair is XMS3202v1.5 (0513011-1)

The second pair is XMS3202v3.1 (0411011-3)

The motherboard is an ASUS A8V Deluxe rev 2.00.

As previously stated, either pair works fine alone. All four installed boots, but doesn't recognized the additional memory. BUT, when I tried one stick from each pair, the system wouldn't boot at all. Shouldn't these sticks perform identically?

That's TwinX1024-3200C2 v1.5 and v3.1, correct?

They'll perform identically, yes. However, TwinX packs are only guaranteed at their rated timings when by themselves, not with other sticks. Also, memory controllers don't like dealing with multiple ICs. They may work together, but you'll have to try them first @ 3-4-4-8. If it's stable, then try tightening them up a bit.

Also, in Athlon 64 systems when running 4 sticks the FSB is dropped to 333 Mhz FSB by design. The new Venice core is the only one that can do 4 sticks @ 400 Mhz.

• 1 month later...

If 4 sticks are run with the San Diego core can the fsb operate at 400mhz?

Going with the Asus A8v deluxe-fx55 or 4000+ san diego combo. Still have a high end agp gfx card.

Thanks..

DC 42

hi iam having same prob to an exstent i have just bought a new 1 gig twinx ddr 2 x 512 sticks cmx512-3200c2pt cas2 v4.2

my old sticks that are currently in are same bar v1.2 i place theses new sticks in and system wont even boot all i get is a audio warning from mb saying sytem failure due to cpu overclocking ? my cpu isent oc mb is a asus a8v deluxe rev 2 i have no exsperiance in memory oc or timings lol if this is needed to cure this prob lol so if u could explain how to rectify this prob in detail if that is what is needed lol cheers for the help :D:

hi k so that meens they carnt wrk together then?

an meens i need to get anouther gig of ram that exactly matches theses ie new 1s v4.2 to get them to wrk?

just to mk sure lol will 2 1 gig sets ie twinx1024-3200c2pt v4.2 all wrk together at ther normal speeds in a asus a8v deluxe rev 2 board with a amd64 4000+ clawhammer ??

if they will ill just get anouther set an exact match em?

:D:

• Corsair Employees
Well all of the modules would need to be matched, but if you install more than 2 you may be limited to DDR333. I would suggest using 2-1.0 Gig modules if you need 2.0 Gig of memory with this platform or Twinx1024-3200C2 for best performance.

I had the same troubles. I flashed the bios on my A8V Deluxe to 1013. Now my two sticks of 512MB XMS3200C2 work fine (one is v1.2 and other is 3.1). I even put in my friends two sticks of XMS3200C2PT (both of those are some other version) and it works great with all four slots filled (2GB total). BTW, I had bios version 1010 on it prior.... used just one stick in slot B1 to get it up and running and flash to 1013.

I spoke too soon. Although the system works with the 2 sticks of TWINX CMX512-3200C2, the memory speed is only 100mhz (DDR200). With one of either stick in, memory runs at full speed, 200mhz (DDR400).

I ran memtest on both modules individually and then together and all tests pass even after 3 or 4 iterations. I ordered these as a matched set, but one stick says v1.2 and the other says v3.1?! What is the next step? RMA? Return to vendor? Thanks.

Archived