Corsair Community

Module gone bad?

Vorzer

A few months ago I purchased two 512 matched modules of Corsiar TwinX XMS3200 400 mhz ram from zipzoomfly for a custom system I was building. Here's the current system specs, if it's any help:

-Thermaltake XaserV WinGo7000 Full ATX Tower w/ 5 case fans and 420-watt power supply

-Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939 Limited Edition nforce3 Ultra motherboard

-AMD Athalon 64 FX-53 processor

-1 Gbyte Corsair TwinX XMS3200 CMX512 3200XLPT Xtra-Low-Latency (2-2-2-5) DDR400/PC3200 RAM

-Hitachi Deskstar 160-Gbyte 7200-rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive w/ 8 mb buffer

-Sapphire Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition 256

-VX930 CRT Monitor

-SB Audigy 2 ZS --> Logitech Z-680 5.1 system (505 watts RMS, 1000 watt peak)

-LG 12X Super Multi DVD ReWriter

-Logitech MX-510 Optical mouse and Logitech Elite Keyboard

-Windows XP Home Edition (SP2), Norton Internet Security 2004, AVG anti-virus

-Adelphia Broadband (Cable), Linksys router

Okay, anyway it was the first system I ever built, and it worked great at first. But lately it has been giving me trouble and crashing during extended sessions of Half Life 2 and the Guild Wars Beta test. I could not pinpoint the problem no matter what I did. I figured I was having a heat problem (though I'm just guessing, since the crashes only seem to happen under higher load apps and when the system has been on for awhile.) All of the crashes were either a 20-second ish freeze followed by CTD and an error window, or complete lockup and reboot. Once or twice, even the blue screen of death. Any error message I received mentioned memory read errors, "cannot read memory at (nonsensical numbers)".

Well, I downloaded the windows memory tester a week ago and ran its most extensive scan for 11 passes. Nothing, ram checked out fine. But the crashes kept happening occasionally.

Today when I booted the computer the gigabyte motherboard's board alarm screamed at me and the system would not send a picture to the monitor. After much cursing my bad luck, I tried removing one ram module. No luck. So I tried putting it back and removing the other. Bingo.

Now I'm only running with 512 ram and I just dont know what to do. Did the ram just blow on me? Is there something wrong with the way I set up my system? Or was it a freak incident? I have no idea, and since its a self built system I have no tech support. Thankfully i can at least get online to access forums like this.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this is covered by warranty because I just got a hefty speeding ticket :sigh!: and I don't know if I can afford another DIMM right now.

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 (+.2 V) Volts as well. If you do find one failing then lets get it or them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

However; if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem, and I would try testing the memory in another system to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, thanks. Sorry I took so long to get back to you; I have been terribly busy with schoolwork and haven't had time to fuss with this thing.

Anyways, I downloaded Memtest86+, burned it to a bootable CD-RW, and tested the modules one at a time, using the same DIMM bay on the motherboard. The results were exactly as I had expected. One of the modules went 38 passes without so much as a hiccup. As for the second module, the PC would not even boot to DOS with it installed, or send a picture to the monitor. The motherboard alarm simply screamed at me defiantly. Somewhere along the line, it went bad somehow. I guess I'll send it in to Corsair and have them take a look.

Two questions:

1.) I set the DIMM voltage to 2.7v as you suggested as opposed to the basic 2.5v. My knowledge of PC building is not especially vast, so could you please tell me what this did? Will this correct my occasional "cannot read memory at xxxxxxx" issues when playing high-end games?

2.) Could you point me in the direction of a good water-cooling system? I am unsure if my PC is having heat issues or not, but better cooling certainly can't hurt, especially for the RAM.

• 2 weeks later...

The new module has arrived, and I installed it and took it for a test drive. Everything works like new, and to top it off, by setting the DIMM voltage to 2.7v, all the instability and crashing issues that have plagued me for months have vanished. All is as it should be.

Thanks, Ram Guy!

I will certainly use Corsair for all my future memory needs.

Archived