Corsair Community

Fan sounds like a revving engine

mcseman23

Here's a fun one. It sounds like one of my fams is revving like a race car. I have 11 QL fans in my system (3 x 140 and 8 x 120). Every time I boot up my machine, it seems like one of them is making a ton of noise. I can't isolate at the moment, but it is rather annoying. Is there a way in the ICue software to isolate which fan is having the issue without having to move & open up my case?

Thanks.

Oh, just so you know. here are my fan speeds:

on my H150i - all 3 fans are running between 850 and 875 RPM

3 fans attached to my commander pro that came with my case (all 120s) - around 1500 rpm each

5 fans on secondary commander pro (2 x 120 and 3 x 140) 3 around 1400 rpm and 2 around 1500 rpm. I suspect the 120s are running at 1500, but cannot confirm.

Edited by mcseman23

Quiet/Balanced/Extreme on the AIO coolers is different than on the Commander. For the H150i the fan speed is tied to coolant temperature (H150i Temp) and you can see the curves by creating a new custom one and using the three shape tools in the upper right part of the graph. For most people these are fine to use and only create unnecessarily high fan speeds for those in a very warm room or with a very warm case.

On the Commander, those presets are based on CPU temp and we have no idea where the data points sit. However, 1500 when it idle is pretty much the norm. You want to get off those immediately. There is no reason to run your case fans based on CPU temp and using a hidden curve isn't much fun either. Immediate quick fix is to create your own curve (Performance Tab. +) then use GPU temp, H150i Temp, or something else you are familiar with as the sensor choice. Long term the thermistor probes that come with the Commander can be set to measure air temp or water temp sensors for custom loops to make very specific controlled fan speed. The temp probes are also the native sensor for the device, so you don't need the software running to follow the curve. The downside is it takes some experimentation to find the right spot and learn the normal temp range for your use. Each set-up will be unique.