Corsair Community

2 DIMMS of value select dont get along

G_man

Ok so it seems that a similar problem is fairly common but I have not found a way to resolve the issue.

I am running:

AMD A64 3000+

512 VS PC3200 x 2

MSI K8N neo platinum nforce3

XfX gforce 6600 GT

450watt PSU

Memory settings:

voltage at 2.7

C.A.S 2.5-3-3-8

The board supports DDR 400 running in single channel

Alone, memtest reports zero errors for numerous passes

Together, memtest reports zero errors for numerous passes.

However, when I try to run splinter cell: chaos theory...at first it worked...but during the "caching of sm 3.0 shaders" or soon after i begin actually playing the monitor will turn off and computer will restart. I had NOT been having any of these issues with a single DIMM. I moved them to different banks which seemed to solve the problem for a short time...then it reappeared.

Again with each of these sticks alone everything is totally fine, the application runs without a problem...it is together that the problem occurs. I did notice that the boards on which the memory is mounted are different heights...not like that should make a difference but I guess it may be a clue to something. Is it possible to have corsair trade me one stick for another of a matching lot # to the one I already have...if this would help.

The older memory is:

VS 512mb PC3200

lot# 043305-0

(sorry cant find the serial #, its not on the label)

This is the taller of the two sticks

Newer memory:

VS 512mb PC3200

lot # 0513024-0

serial # 819-0513024-0-304457

could you please explain why this problem occurs and what i can do to resolve the stability issues with the applications.

Thank you

As I mentioned before...

with each of these sticks alone everything is totally fine, the application runs without a problem...it is together that the problem occurs.

when i said "everything is totally fine" i mean there are no errors in memtest or problems with the program

• Corsair Employee

I would try the modules in slots 1-3 or 2-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the following timings manually and see if that helps.

the Dim Voltage to +2.7 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 8

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Enabled

I have already done that and it did not seem to change anything...The problem still occurs. But like I said it does not necessarily happen everytime. It may take a few starts before this problem shows up...especially it seems after I switch slots.

would the problem be because of different lot numbers...or is it just this brand with my board.

do you think it is even the memory causing the issue?

thanks for you help and fast responses!

Archived