Corsair Community

Faulty Corsair CMX512-3200LLPT

michl

I have a Power Mac G5 dual 2.5 GHz machine with 2 GB of memory (four 512 KB DIMMs from Corsair). This system was working like a charm until about two weeks ago, when I experienced sudden freezing of the system and Apple's pulldown screen appeared requesting to cycle power and reboot the machine. I talked with Apple tech support and I have reinstalled the entire operating system including the latest patches. To do this in a clean fashion, I bought a new hard drive so that there is no old or user software there. This did not fix the problem. The new drive with only Apple's software still produces the same unstable behavior. At this point Apple tech support suggested that my memory might be bad. I did not believe that since I have not yet ever seen any memory go bad on me. In any event, the suggested to boot of a special CD they provide that loads a minimal operating system and includes extensive hardware tests. The tests nevere fully completed and sure enough stop at the main memory test with the message "memory error - failure at 2MEM/104/4: DIMM1/J12" or something like that. I then proceeded to run the machine with only two dimms out of the four. After rebooting and rerunning the test mmultiple times, I was able to determine that the failure only occurs when one particular DIMM is in the machine. I presently operate the machine back with my old system with only 1 GB of main memory and it has been stable for 4 days (before the machine would never run for more than a few minutes).

Apple techsupport and me too are convinced that the one memory module I isolated is faulty. The marking on the module are:

CMX512-3200LLPT XMS3205v1.2 0329058

It is a platinum series TWINX XMS Xtreme DIMM.

What should I do next? I talked to the dealer - Micro Center in Tustin, CA - where I bought the memory over one year ago and they suggested to contact Corsair directly. Looking at your site, I realize that I can not file an RMA request without first asking for your advice through this board.

Please help me. Thank you!

I Think I Have a Bad Part. What Do I Do?

The RMA request can be made three ways:

A link to our online form can be found here. Complete the form, and submit it to Corsair. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

OR you can print the PDF version and fax it to Corsair. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

An editable Excel version can be found here. Complete the form and email it to RMA@corsairmemory.com. You will receive a response within 24 hours, usually sooner.

You can also call them @ 1-888-222-4346, or email them with the info in the RMA form.

However, all RMA forms will not be approved unless you get approval via email, a post here, or over the phone.

I Think I Have a Bad Part. What Do I Do?

You can also call them @ 1-888-222-4346, or email them with the info in the RMA form.

However, all RMA forms will not be approved unless you get approval via email, a post here, or over the phone.

I already had the RMA form filled in and ready to go and was just waiting for your response - thank you for your prompt reply and allowing me to proceed with the RMA.

Archived