Corsair Community

Changing fans on H150i Pro XT

informatik01

Hi.

TL;DR

Are there any pitfalls if I replace the ML120 PRO non-RGB fans that are included with H150i Pro XT cooler with LL120 RGB White fans (SKU: CO-9050091-WW)?

---------------------

More details

---------------------

I made my first PC build and I have the latest and greatest H150i Pro XT AIO cooler for my Ryzen 3950x processor.

But it was a surprise for me that H150 Pro XT, although being the latest Corsair AIO, doesn't have RGB on the fans.

So I would like to change the included ML120 PRO fans (non-RGB) with RGB fans.

I have noticed that Corsair engineers prefer putting high velocity fans (high RPM) for AIO coolers. For H150i Pro XT the ML120 PRO fans has the maximum RPM 2400.

So I need the closest RGB equivalent, that is why I would like to use LL120 RGB White fans (SKU: CO-9050091-WW).

Why LL120 RGB White? Correct me if I am wrong, but seems these fans (White) are the fastest RGB fans among any fan type (like LL, ML, QL etc) by Corsair at the moment - 2200 RPM.

So using them as a replacement I would get the best of two worlds: fast RPM and beautiful RGB - perfect combination.

Oh, and I have Corsair Commander Pro with RGB LED hub that came with my Obsidian Series 500D SE case, so no problem with addressing the lack of RGB control in H150i Pro XT.

Would appreciate the experienced Corsair enthusiasts pointing out some possible pitfalls (if any).

Thanks.

You can use any other PWM fan on the H150 XT. LL and QL fans are both 4 pin PWM. With all of these RGB fans, you will need to get the multi-pack to make sure you get the included lighting controller.

2200 rpm only matter if you intend to run your fans at 2200 rpm. For most people, that will be far too loud and there are clear diminishing returns as speed increases. One of the selling points of a 360mm cooler is you don't need to blast the fans at maximum speed to keep the coolant temp in check. On any Ryzen 3000 series CPU, you will be voltage/temperature limited and not cooler limited. Taking 2C off the CPU temp by upping fan speed from 1300 to 2000 rpm may not be what you have in mind.

Thanks you for the reply.

you will need to get the multi-pack to make sure you get the included lighting controller

As I mentioned, I already have Commander Pro and RGB LED hub, aren't they enough?

Still I will probably get the multi pack as it is available with a good price in our local stores.

Edited by informatik01

If you like the ML-RGB, it is a slightly more effective radiator fan at like speed compared to the LL or QL. Three ML-RGB@1600 rpm is plenty for a 3900x. On the other hand, if you prefer the LL appearance, you are not giving up more than 1-2C in the worst circumstances.

Remember mixing different RGB fan types (ML/LL/QL/HD) is problematic. You will need the second RGB Lighting hub if you run something different than the front 3.

OK, thanks, I get your point.

I will take the triple pack of LL120 RGB White as the closest RGB equivalent of the included ML120 PRO.

Now I know that those 2200 RPM are really a lot, but at least I will be calm that the replacement RGB are not worse than the originally included set :biggrin:

I got the info I needed, thanks for the help.

Edited by informatik01

• 6 months later...

It went fine, no problems at all.

I installed three LL120 White fans in front of the radiator (push) and the LL120 that came with the Corsair H150i Pro XT AIO cooler at the back of the radiator (pull).

And I like this black and white contrast when looking at the inside of the case. From the outside of the case (Corsair Obsidian Series 500D RGB SE) it is all black anyways.

So in total I have 9 fans: 6 in front, 2 above (graphics card AIO) and one rear fan. Well, and there is also of course the built-in fan on my Corsair RMi 1000W power supply, to be exact.

The front fans are connected to the Corsair Commander PRO controller and the inner fans (the original ones) are connected to the H150i Pro XT AIO cooler (i.e. the cooler uses its own original black fans).

The speeds are configured using the Corsair's iCUE software (ca. 200 RPM difference, which is absolutely OK, I used both the custom graph and the pre-build settings).

I have overclocked my AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X processor to 4.45 GHz on all 16 cores and the average idle temperatures are around 38 - 40 degrees Celsius. And this is with my custom "Silent" settings.

I performed a stress test last year (all cores 100% using the "Stress CPU" functionality in CPU-Z software) and with the more aggressive "Extreme" fan settings (build-in settings in iCUE) the temperatures never went higher than 76 degrees Celsius.

Btw after using my build for a while, I replaced the cooler's own thermal paste with the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste, which also helped to reduce the CPU temperatures to the above mentioned values.

So yes, such Push/Pull configuration works without problems, it's up to the one's preferences.

See the attached files for illustration.

File_000.thumb.jpeg.fdf03eb1253f1328701c6c8d69673c8a.jpeg

File_001.thumb.jpeg.f03f6a018b1adccdc1588922917aae16.jpeg

Edited by informatik01

Hi.

TL;DR

Are there any pitfalls if I replace the ML120 PRO non-RGB fans that are included with H150i Pro XT cooler with LL120 RGB White fans (SKU: CO-9050091-WW)?

---------------------

More details

---------------------

I made my first PC build and I have the latest and greatest H150i Pro XT AIO cooler for my Ryzen 3950x processor.

But it was a surprise for me that H150 Pro XT, although being the latest Corsair AIO, doesn't have RGB on the fans.

So I would like to change the included ML120 PRO fans (non-RGB) with RGB fans.

I have noticed that Corsair engineers prefer putting high velocity fans (high RPM) for AIO coolers. For H150i Pro XT the ML120 PRO fans has the maximum RPM 2400.

So I need the closest RGB equivalent, that is why I would like to use LL120 RGB White fans (SKU: CO-9050091-WW).

Why LL120 RGB White? Correct me if I am wrong, but seems these fans (White) are the fastest RGB fans among any fan type (like LL, ML, QL etc) by Corsair at the moment - 2200 RPM.

So using them as a replacement I would get the best of two worlds: fast RPM and beautiful RGB - perfect combination.

Oh, and I have Corsair Commander Pro with RGB LED hub that came with my Obsidian Series 500D SE case, so no problem with addressing the lack of RGB control in H150i Pro XT.

Would appreciate the experienced Corsair enthusiasts pointing out some possible pitfalls (if any).

Thanks.

I used the black fans (pre RGB era) on my first H100. I then changed my ML120 fans on my H100i Platinum to LL120s. Perform just fine and look way better. The white LL120s go up to 2200RPM and the black LLs only do 1600RPM. I just recently upgraded to a H150i Pro XT and put my LL 120 black fans on it. It cools a i7 9700k fine.

20201223_200909.thumb.jpg.358f3f80884466b27a66c3a613f61214.jpg