Corsair Community

XMS3200XL and ABIT AV8

ess

Hi,

when I run my memory modules in slots 1 and 2 I get stability problems(unclocked. My memory is corsair TWINX3200XL 2*256. Today I tried just to run one memory in slot 1 and it worked lika a charm I even got it to 280 HTT stable with both the modules in slot 1 one at a time. I have tried to put the memory in different slots like 1-3 1-4 3-4 but it wont even boot. It only boots when the modules are in 1-2 and its unstable. Is this a compability problem or something?

thanks for any help

I dont got a second system :<

But the memory worked fine in single channel on slot 1

I have a old pentium 450 mhz standing in the basement I can try them in that one if it makes any good

They will not work in a P3-450.

Also, the fact that they work fine when by themselves and run in single channel fine points to the memory controller.

Should I return the CPU you mean?

• Corsair Employees
I would agree with Wired ( :eek: ), but I would check with ABIT and see if you have the latest bios to be sure. In addition, what is the make and model of PSU you have? You might check with ABIT to make sure it's compatible with that MB.

• Corsair Employees

Just to be clear.

What you have posted would suggest a problem with the CPU and or memory controller, but these types of problems can be caused by a weak or failing PSU as well, and the reason I have suggested checking with ABIT just to be sure.

But please let us know what happens!

Ok here's an update:

I finally manage to boot the computer with memory in single channel(slot 1 and slot3) using loose timings and max voltage on vdimm 2.8 and this made the computer stable. This is maybe not a perfect solution to the problem but I think I'll stick with it rather then send back components becouse I need my comp everyday nad don't have a another. Thanks for your help this is truly the best netsupport I bumped in to. Keep up the good work! <3

@ess

what cpu are u using? sounds like the same problem with me- identical mobo, and type of ram...

@ramguy

i know this sounds like a stupid question (possibly off topic too, sorry), but would repeated removal and re-insertion of my DIMMs eventually render them useless? (its just that today ive been doing that with mine for hours trying to figure out the problem...)

• Corsair Employees

Yes, that can damage the modules over time. Memory is not made to be inserted more than a few times. Usually what happes is the copper pads will get knocked loose. But you can see that with a quick inspection of the modules. If you find you may have the problem we can try replacing them.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• Corsair Employees
Well no, it’s not really a warranty issue; but as far as I know we just replace the modules in this type of case. So if you have that issue just submit the RMA request and if they determine its not they will contact you.

Archived