Corsair Community

Yet Another "Is This Working Correctly" Question

Laddie

I have limited experience with building and AIO coolers, so I'm mostly just making sure things are operating as expected. I finally got sick of the constantly droning from the stock Wraith Prism cooler, so I ordered an H150i RGB Pro XT and installed it last Friday.

Instead of using the pre-installed thermal paste, I went with Arctic Silver 5. After bungling my first attempt (mounting pressure was lopsided), I took extra care to tighten evenly, applying a slightly more compound than the first time.

At idle, I'm looking at fan RPMs of 1063-1080, pump at 2338, coolant temp of 30.8 using the "Balanced" profile across the board. CPU package temp is doing its usual "sawtooth" pattern of 37-48 degrees. At load for 5 minutes (OCCT), package temps are in the 61-64 range, with the fans going up +300-500 RPM and the coolant holding around 32.6.

BIOS is at defaults, no OC, standard cooler installation.

Does that seem normal to everyone? I keep reading about the fans staying around 600 RPM at idle, but it really wants to keep the coolant around 30 in the balanced profile and it's Summer in Memphis, so ambient is probably higher than it would like.

That's normal. The three fan presets (or any other curve) are coolant temperature dependent. If I pick you PC up and drop in a 17C room, it will have quite a different reaction than in a 27C room. However, there is no 25C must equal 900 rpm kind of equation. Room temperature (or internal case temp) is the global baseline. Most people will see an idle coolant temp of +4-7C above that, depending on CPU core count and general case layout. That then becomes you effective baseline or lowest possible CPU temp. If the room is 23C and the cooler idles at 27C, that is as low as you go. There is no reason to run the fans at 1500 rpm.

So the trick is to get off the three presets unless you are at a pretty consistent 20-21C room temp. Either way, you can recreate them in the Performance Tab + using the shape tools in the upper right hand corner. Then you can see the data points and understand the behavior... and of course bump the speed up or down. You can make idle speed anything you want. Most 120mm fans become drastically more effective around 1000-1300 rpm for load wattage. However, the relationship is +1 coolant temp = +1 CPU temp, so there is no reason to make things loud to claw back 1.5C of coolant temp. It won't impact your use unless you are right against your thermal limit.

This was super helpful, thank you. Should I continue to use the pump sensor, or use the CPU sensor for the custom curve?

I need to spend more time with the curve, but I basically took the balanced default and shifted it over to start ramping at 32 degrees. I'm holding at 33.3 coolant temp with the fans at 823-845 rpm. CPU is idling at 40-49. A bit more like I was expecting.

Definitely stick with coolant/H150i Temp. CPU temp is too volatile and not really how the process works. What you did is fine and little changes like +-100 rpm make no difference for temps. It sometimes makes a difference for noise. It will take a little time to learn the coolant temp behavior.