Corsair Community

Corsair Link vs. iCUE

bamajon1974

What is the difference between Corsair Link and iCUE software?

Do I need either or both installed? Do these programs perform any essential function?

I don't overclock and, given the buggy nature of a lot of RGB lighting control software (especially Asus) I am fine with dropping it, although it is nice.

I prefer streamlined, bloat free programs installed.

Thanks!

Link is End-of-life. it was the old package for inside-the-box devices.

Everything is merged now into iCUE.

iCUE allows you to control all of your Corsair devices from one place. Whether you need it depends on what you have installed. Since you've not shared what devices you have, we can't tell you any more than that.

Got it. Here is the relevant hardware:

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Graphics Card

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz Processor with Corsair Hydro Series, H150i PRO RGB Liquid CPU Cooler

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming ATX Intel Motherboard

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe PH-ES614LTG ATX Full Tower Computer Case with RGB Illumination with EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 1000W power supply.

Thanks!

Link is End-of-life. it was the old package for inside-the-box devices.

Everything is merged now into iCUE.

iCUE allows you to control all of your Corsair devices from one place. Whether you need it depends on what you have installed. Since you've not shared what devices you have, we can't tell you any more than that.

So it is definitely worth installing the iCUE software, right?

Glad you mentioned lighting. ASUS forums are full of complaints about the Armory Crate software that, among other things controls the mobo lighting. The older Aura Sync seems to be less problematic but still has issues and has not been updated in a while.

I really don't want to install the hot mess that is ASUS software but if iCUE does control some mobo lighting, then use iCUE albiet with some limited mobo RBG lighting control.

Does the iCUE have any issues with GSkill lighting control?

The GeForce also has lighting control but from GeForce experience. I don't want that bloat installed either and can live without those lights.

Thanks!

So - you'd use iCUE to monitor and control your cooler.

You should also be able to control some of the motherboard lighting but not the RAM.

Definitely avoid Armoury crate.. I made the msitake of installing it to control my Balteus mouse pad.. and long story short, it installs a ton of services and programs running in background, it's full of social and game library crap and i could not uninstall the bloody thing.. Had to reinstall windows..

Stick with Aura sync as long as it works.

Definitely avoid Armoury crate.. I made the msitake of installing it to control my Balteus mouse pad.. and long story short, it installs a ton of services and programs running in background, it's full of social and game library crap and i could not uninstall the bloody thing.. Had to reinstall windows..

Stick with Aura sync as long as it works.

Got it. What version of Aura Sync do you recommend? Any issues with Gskill Lighting Control as well?

Thanks!

Unfortunately icue is bloatware, in my case I have an aio watercooler and a keyboard, when icue is running even in background, it puts all the cores in my 9700 at full speed, even in idle. In icue you may control the motherboard lighting too. Your gskill ram should be control through aura sync or the gskill software. The only trouble with the latest two is the lighting server, that if you have effects activated such as rainbow or breathing, the service uses a lot of CPU resources. But if you leave an static color the CPU usage just desappear.