Corsair Community

My fan dilemma

LordM

Hi guys,

Just finished setting up my pc and had bought 6 x LL120 fans but none of them came with a node controller or led hub so I just have six fans. I decided last night to order 3 x QL120 fans which comes with the node controller, and return 3x LL120 fans. Do I need to buy anything else to get all the rgb working.

I have one system fan connection left on my motherboard.

Can I plug the 3 x LL RGB connections to the lighting node controller with the other 3 x Ql120 connections?

Am I assuming the ql120 comes with 2 cables one for rgb and one for the fan?

If anyone can shed some help and help me figure out what I need to get these 6 x 120 fans working with both fan and light would greatly appreciate as I’m kind of lost.

My motherboard has 5 system fan connections (MSI MEG ACe x570)

1 sys fan is currently in use from 3 x noctua fans on a splitter controller.

3 fans (ll120) individually connected to system 2/3/4 connection

And system 5 fan connection is free.

Unfortunately, you have only shifted the problem in another direction. You are still short 1 lighting controller. You cannot effectively mix different fan types on the same controller. The software sees the fans and breaks them into their LED specific intervals. So it's QL x 4 (35 LEDs x 4) or LL x 6 (16 LEDs x 6). You can't tell it QL-QL-LL-LL-QL-LL, etc. While 3 QL and 3 LL will light up when on the same hub, it's not going to work as intended. If you put the QL x 3 first and tell it 5 QL, you will be able to accurately control the first three. After that, each LL becomes the next 16 LEDs in the chain and all the special QL fan effects are not going to work. It effectively limits you to solid colors and basic flashing patterns with some tedious set-up for the 3 LL.

This is even more awkward because the QL comes with a different lighting controller than prior LL and ML models. The "core" is a lighting controller and lighting power conduit for up to 6 fans of any type. You only get it with newer cases or QL and SP-Pro fans. The older fan types use a RGB Lighting Hub for power and the software control is achieved through a Lightning Node Core or Commander Pro, each of which can take up two RGB channels (lighting hubs, strips, Hydro X blocks). You would need the Core for the QL and another RGB Hub and Lighting Node Pro for the LL.

If you still have return options on the 3 remaining LL, you best play is to send them back for 3 more QL. Yes, they cost slightly more. However, it is an upgrade in every way. More lighting effects. Truer colors. Looks good regardless of orientation. And... they can all go on one single Core device (1 SATA for power, 1 USB 2 for connection to the system). No Lighting Node Pro or Commander required.

Great! Answered my problem I believe I will send all LL fans back and buy another 3 QL Fans, I am assuming then I will be able to connect all six to just one of the two hubs I will have and connect via the usb cable on my motherboard and set it up from windows?

Do you recommend any cpu coolers water cooling from Corsair and what would be needed to work that into the Corsair fan setup? Thinking of going cpu watercooled with one of those fan and water cool but have no idea which one would be good for a ryzen 7 3800

Unfortunately, you have only shifted the problem in another direction. You are still short 1 lighting controller. You cannot effectively mix different fan types on the same controller. The software sees the fans and breaks them into their LED specific intervals. So it's QL x 4 (35 LEDs x 4) or LL x 6 (16 LEDs x 6). You can't tell it QL-QL-LL-LL-QL-LL, etc. While 3 QL and 3 LL will light up when on the same hub, it's not going to work as intended. If you put the QL x 3 first and tell it 5 QL, you will be able to accurately control the first three. After that, each LL becomes the next 16 LEDs in the chain and all the special QL fan effects are not going to work. It effectively limits you to solid colors and basic flashing patterns with some tedious set-up for the 3 LL.

This is even more awkward because the QL comes with a different lighting controller than prior LL and ML models. The "core" is a lighting controller and lighting power conduit for up to 6 fans of any type. You only get it with newer cases or QL and SP-Pro fans. The older fan types use a RGB Lighting Hub for power and the software control is achieved through a Lightning Node Core or Commander Pro, each of which can take up two RGB channels (lighting hubs, strips, Hydro X blocks). You would need the Core for the QL and another RGB Hub and Lighting Node Pro for the LL.

If you still have return options on the 3 remaining LL, you best play is to send them back for 3 more QL. Yes, they cost slightly more. However, it is an upgrade in every way. More lighting effects. Truer colors. Looks good regardless of orientation. And... they can all go on one single Core device (1 SATA for power, 1 USB 2 for connection to the system). No Lighting Node Pro or Commander required.

Please see above I have ordered another 3 ql fans so six on the way now and I’ll just return the LLs do you recommend cpu cooling with the 3 fans and water cooling option?

Generally speaking, you want the largest radiator that will fit your case comfortably. I can’t tell what that would be for you. The “100” coolers are 240mm, 115 is 280mm, and H150 is 360mm.

There is a Pro series, Platinum, and XT. Performance is largely the same for like sizes regardless of series. What is different is the extras on each. The Pro series has an extra low quiet pump speed mode for those that don’t want to hear anything at idle. The Platinum comes with RGB ML series fans and it’s own lighting controller. This may not be an attractive option because presumably both those items are covered by the QL. The XT is like the Platinum except black and without the lighting controller and RGB fans you already have.

Edited by c-attack

Generally speaking, you want the largest radiator that will fit your case comfortably. I can’t tell what that would be for you. The “100” coolers are 240mm, 115 is 280mm, and H150 is 360mm.

There is a Pro series, Platinum, and XT. Performance is largely the same for like sizes regardless of series. What is different is the extras on each. The Pro series has an extra low quiet pump speed mode for those that don’t want to hear anything at idle. The Platinum comes with RGB ML series fans and it’s own lighting controller. This may not be an attractive option because presumably both those items are covered by the QL. The XT is like the Platinum except black and without the lighting controller and RGB fans you already have.

I have a LiAN-li 011D case so the 360mm would be no issue, the question is which one from the two is the better to go with?

many thanks for your replies!

360mm is the natural fit for that case, although the CPU wattage still is not a known here. A 360mm might be overkill for a 3600x or the minimum for a 10900K. Ignoring that, the two choices are the H150i Pro and the H150i XT (which is also confusing since it has 'Pro' in the formal name). The XT is not a replacement for the Pro and they have different OEM partners.

The H150i Pro has 3 pump speeds (1100, 2160, 2850 rpm), 3 ML non-rgb fans with a max of 1600 rpm, and a proven track record for reliability. The pump LED is a simple ring LED and again, the fans are not RGB.

The H150i XT has 3 pump speeds at 2000,2400, ~3000 rpm. It is duplicate of the Platinum series cooler, but with a black pump bezel, the same individually addressable pump LEDs, and unlike Platinum coolers -- NO rgb fans. It has 3 ML-non RGB that are extended out to the normal ML-Pro limit of 2400 rpm (not that you ever need to run anywhere near that fast). The XT series just launched, so there isn't a lot of specific data, but it does seem to follow the general behavior of the Platinum coolers. The Platinum and XT supposedly have a reworked and larger cold plate. That could be more important if you are using a larger die CPU like a Intel X processor or 10900K.

Key take away from either cooler is they don't have their own RGB fans. You want to factor that into any cost assessment, since the O11 is a 9 fan layout, I assume the radiator fans will be needed.