Corsair Community

How to connect 10 ML fans on 1 CoPro

Only a Noob

Hey guys I am a Noob,

Gonna build my first system and plan to custom water cool it.

Anyway i ordered the individual components and am very excited for them to arrive.

So, I also ordered 4 ML140 pro fans NON-Rgb (exhaust) and 6 ML120 pro fans NON-Rgb (intake), for the simple reason of their performance capabilities over the rgb versions which lost alotta performance.

The question is how do i connect these fans on one Commander Pro that I also ordered. Also, I have been researching a lot on pwm y splitters but am still confused because the splitters end in 1x3 and 1x4 male meaning one fan header cannot control pwm of both ML fans on that splitter because one split is 3 pin.

How does this even work and any suggestions for good splitter cables that can handle 2 ML fans on full capacity on one CO Pro fan header?

the splitters on the fan ends will always have one plug with 4 pins and the others with only 3.

This is the tachometer readout pin. The fan controller will send the same PWM signal to all fans but only read the speed of one. That's why it's always more convenient to use the same fan models on splitters, which is your case :)

You can even consider running up to 3 fans per output on the commander pro, if you later mount the fans on long radiators like 360mm. easier to set one fan curve for the whole rad

You can even consider running up to 3 fans per output on the commander pro, if you later mount the fans on long radiators like 360mm. easier to set one fan curve for the whole rad

Don't do that. While you may get lucky (I've heard of one or two), we've seen LOTS of cases of dead fan headers from 3-way splitters.

It outputs 1A per output, 4.5A max on the 6 outputs.

if people max them out on splitters yea it may overload on startup, or overheat running them full blast but 6 ML fans on 2 outputs are not really a concern. This kind of setup is standard for 360 rads.

But here obviously you'll only hear about cases of failures ;)

That said, if you tell me CoPros outputs fail regularely at 60% load, they should recall them all >_>

Edit : After a bit of research on the forum i get it.. basically the specs are BS.. better play safe and not go over 2 fans per header.

That said, some cases were 3 DC controlled fans (linear voltage control creates a lot of heat..), another was Noctuas industrial which suck more current than MLs.. but still, this really blows. Adding this to the horrendous default fan curves set in Icue that accelerate and decelerate constantly is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by LeDoyen

I can recite the specs too.

I know what the specs are.

I also know what we've seen in the real world around here. I really think that it is to do with the auto-detect algorithm. The very few folks that have successfully used 3-way splitters also have the fans set to 4-pin rather than auto. My hypothesis is that it's the surge at power-on, 100%. You don't get that when you set the fans to 4-pin. But why risk it?

I can recite the specs too.

I know what the specs are.

I also know what we've seen in the real world around here. I really think that it is to do with the auto-detect algorithm. The very few folks that have successfully used 3-way splitters also have the fans set to 4-pin rather than auto. My hypothesis is that it's the surge at power-on, 100%. You don't get that when you set the fans to 4-pin. But why risk it?

Hey, can you explain that a bit?

I mean i already know I should not get more than 2 head splitters, but what is this setting in the icue and how specifically can i use it in my particular case in order to be safe=high performance (no rgb puke which leaves extra power in the CoPro)

Also, guys if all splitters are the same that is they end in 1x3 and 1x4 pin, should i cheap out and get them from aliexpress? I live in Pakistan so its more convenient as the local market is not up to snuff and items imported from the west have just insane prices and im talking about 300%-400% increase for little things like these cables plus they are hard to get anyway....

Or, does quality actually matter and will save me burning my Co Pro header out?

Any suggestions if so?

Thankyou for your time guys :) really appreciate it.

Yea any splitter will do the job. It's just wire :)

Following Devbiker recommendation, if you need to use more than two fans per header, you can use cables like this one that take power from a Molex plug instead of the Commander Pro. But speed control and reading still goes to it, just, no risk to overload it :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32559579356.html

This shop also has SATA plug if you prefer it over Molex

And the basic 2 fan splitters :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32558920867.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000023.2.7f2c1d8cvyYmhH

Edited by LeDoyen

Hey, can you explain that a bit?

I mean i already know I should not get more than 2 head splitters, but what is this setting in the icue and how specifically can i use it in my particular case in order to be safe=high performance (no rgb puke which leaves extra power in the CoPro)

Well, the RGB is on the 5V rail and a separate connector. There's nothing with the fan motor or the RGB that leaves "extra power" in one or the other.

And the setting is found in Settings under the Commander Pro. You can set each fan header to 3-pin, 4-pin or Auto.

Also, guys if all splitters are the same that is they end in 1x3 and 1x4 pin, should i cheap out and get them from aliexpress? I live in Pakistan so its more convenient as the local market is not up to snuff and items imported from the west have just insane prices and im talking about 300%-400% increase for little things like these cables plus they are hard to get anyway....

Or, does quality actually matter and will save me burning my Co Pro header out?

Any suggestions if so?

Thankyou for your time guys :) really appreciate it.

Quality matters ... somewhat ... in the quality of the crimp and the cable, etc. I have seem to pretty shoddy ones out there but for the most part, it makes little difference.

AliExpress should be fine though.