Corsair Community

Laptop Memory Problems

Soamesy

I have just bought some VS512MB400C3 memory for a Laptop computer, I checked the previous memory in the laptop and it is 184 pin DDR PC3200U(?) 400 mhz. I purchased the memory thinking it would work. I found that when booting up the Bios screen will not even show, i'm not sure if it is faulty or incompatable. After replacing the old memory the computer is fine again. The Laptop is a Novatech Performer 2.8 GHz P4. The old memory is from Elixar.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

• Corsair Employees

Matt,

I am unable to find any technical information about this system. The maker’s web site just looks to be a marketing company and did not see any technical specs on your system. I would suggest you use a module suggested by the maker of that system.

Hello Again, a little more movement on the Memory front. After doing some research with the company who sold the laptop they have told us it is a Gericom 755i, i've never heard of them but maybe you have, also the memory specs seem to match to what i've ordered. I was also informed that the company has gone out of business :roll: . I can't get on gericom.com because of a blocker @ work but perhaps that'll help. Also the module seems to run fine on a desktop I tried it on. Is it just compatability?

Thanks Matt

• Corsair Employees
Gericom looks like they are an OEM; in other words they are buying a white box notebook and installing their labels on the NB. And the model you have seems to only be available in Europe so there is not too much information about the company or notebook that I can understand, sorry I only speak English and a little Chinglish, LOL! However based on what I have found I would suggest you use a memory module that is JEDEC compliant or close too it for better compatibility. If this model takes Desktop memory our part# would be CMSS512MB-3200.

It's an industry standard basically.

http://www.jedec.org - The Standards Resource for the World Semiconductor Industry

JEDEC is the leading developer of standards for the solid-state industry. Almost 2400 participants, appointed by some 270 companies work together in 50 JEDEC committees meet the needs of every segment of the industry, manufacturers and consumers alike. The publications and standards that they generate are accepted throughout the world. All JEDEC standards are available online, at no charge.

They FINALLY updated their site! Looked like it was made in 1995 or something before.

Archived