Corsair Community

LL & QL Fans RGB toasted!

TFI_YT

I made the mistake of plugging 2 QL140s and 3 LL140s into a single Node Core hub, and it appears to have toasted/knackered the RGB on all the fans.

The PC detects the hub, latest iCUE, but none of the fans are receiving a signal, they're all stuck. Some of the fans are part lit, one isn't lit at all, none of them go to the default rainbow pattern on boot, if I unplug the hub it changes nothing.

The three LL fans worked perfect 2 days ago with a Node Pro hub, so I plugged them back into that hub and they're still all still stuck, unlit, not being fed or receiving a signal.

It's like when they all powered up on the Node Core, it flashed them with a bad signal and now they're all knackered.

I ever tried the hubs and fans in a totally independent PC, still knackered.

Any ideas?! I've wasted around 8 hours of my life so far trying to trouble shoot this! Cheers!

hi buddy... how have you got them configured in iCUE?.. got a screen cap of the Lighting Setup tab?

Highly unlikely you damaged them.. only thing different between the 2 types is the amount of LEDs

Honestly mate I've been troubleshooting this for around 10-12 hours now, everything points towards blitzed fans. They stay the same LED colour when I plug them direct into the RGB headers on the motherboard.

I've attached the iCUE set up, but I'll record a video of it as it's difficult to project the full extent of this without seeing it. I'll link it when it's uploaded.

Thanks a bunch mate, much appreciated

iCUe.thumb.jpg.4ec67869228ee3cca4ae2f837bd4f68e.jpg

581862997_iCUE2.thumb.jpg.1e3571307d35d03b4401d3a90b40ce84.jpg

Ouch... you plugged the fan on the 12V analog RGB header, so it's highly likely you smoked the RGB chip in the fan.

If you tried them all on that header, i have no high hopes they will work again..

No - I didn't do that until around an hour before I posted the video, the fans have been like this since Saturday, up until I recorded that video the only place those fans had been plugged into was a Node Core and a Node Pro hub... edit, and that one fan is the only fan which has been plugged into the board, the other ones have only been into the hub.

Hey buddy.. given you have now plugged stuff into the motherboard headers.. open a ticket with support. not a lot we can do here as regardless of previous issues you have most likely damaged that fan now :(

I appreciate that was a stupid thing to do, but I guarantee that none of those fans had been plugged into a header until an hour before I shot the video, the behaviour I'm reporting has been consistent for 3 days prior to that happening.

I've got 5 fans, 3 LL fans and 2 QL fans.

All those fans are broken and demonstrating this exact same behaviour, and 4 of them have been nowhere near a header.

FYI I have raised a ticket with support, I did that on Sunday but I've had no response.

To be clear, on Sunday the problem was the same as it is now and the only place the fans had been was in the Node Core and Node Pro hub. I 100% believe this Node Core hub has damaged all 5 of fans. What I'm hoping to find out is if there's a way to validate that.

Edited by TFI_YT

I'm just going to RMA the QL fans and the Node Core hub, get a direct replacement.

That still leaves me with 3x LL fans and their Node Pro hub (none of which have been anywhere near a header) and they no longer work after being connected into the Node Pro hub.

I'm just going to RMA the QL fans and the Node Core hub, get a direct replacement.

That still leaves me with 3x LL fans and their Node Pro hub (none of which have been anywhere near a header) and they no longer work after being connected into the Node Pro hub.

Contact Support about it all dude

Well I've just removed all the QL fans from my system, put back in the 3 LL140 fans that I've had for 3 years and they're all toasted. These fans have only ever been in a Corsair hub. That 'new' Node Core hub has done something to all my fans, its blown the internals of them.

Already contacted support but I doubt they'll do anything about the LL fans, they're out of warranty, even though the Node Core hub blown them. Canny infuriating like. Maybe they'll surprise me and replace the fans but I doubt it.

Cheers

Here's a thought, I installed these new QL fans at the same time as I upgraded to a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL case. The LED strip light on the front of the Lian Li case is exhibiting the exact same behaviour as the QL fans, it's lit, but it's stuck and not responsive to any input.

That Lian Li LED strip was connected up on the same SATA power daisy chain as the Node Core hub was...

Do you think it's within the realms of possibility that my PSU (Corsair 1200W HXi) has had a power surge and blown all the units on that SATA line?

Obviously since considering this, I've swapped out the SATA cable, tried a different modular port, they're still broken but when re-connected, occasionally they'll be stuck to a very slightly different pattern of RGB.

It's a weird one.

The O11D strip works if you set it to external control and connect to the motherboard ARGB ?

I doubt the +5V would have surged, there's so many protections on the secondary of those PSUs it's very unlikely. But the O11 rgb controller is pretty exposed. Do you see anything that could have shorted the PCB maybe?

your 5V reading on iCUE is still spot on?

Nope the 011D strip is completely dead, it's fully connected up but doesn't respond to the Mode or Colour button being used. If I plug it into a Asus addressable header, nothing happens, I can't cycle to the 8th mode because the Mode button isn't responding.

If you look at the attached image, that's all I get.

It's fully connected up to the PCB and I've reseated all connections several dozen times now, Ive been at this for days.

For the 5V reading, unfortunately I don't have the PSU hooked up to iCUE as I ran out of USB mobo headers. Asus XII Formula only has 2, one was for the Kraken pump and the other for the Corsair Lighting hub. I've bought a splitter and waiting for that to arrive.

This is why I'm now thinking it was some kind of a surge, all my QL & LL fans are behaving the same as that light strip. They all froze on a LED 'frame' from a sequence if that makes sense, and are now all totally unresponsive to any signal input from hardware or software. I have no idea what else it could be, this time last week my LL fans were working perfectly with this motherboard & PSU and everything else... I move everything into a new case and add the Node Core hub and poof, they're all dead now.

65947188_2020-06-1014_48.44-1.thumb.jpg.9cb4031b56daa6523bbb349f44f6aed5.jpg

Edited by TFI_YT

Just to close this up. Unfortunately it won't be of much use to future visitors as all products required a replacement, but see attached, all fans are now working.

Something did indeed happen when I first powered on this build, I suspect some kind of fault/surge with the Lighting Node Core as 5 LED fans connected to it all blew out. Very weird, never had anything like that happen before in all my years of doing this.

My case LED strip did also fail as well, but after replacing that, that seems to have been a manufacturing fault as it was physically installed incorrectly. So I believe the Corsair fans LED failure was through the Node Core.

Through no fault of my own, I'm still left with 3 blown out broken LL140 fans which are out of warranty, so I've just had to bite the bullet and buy a whole new set of QL140s to replace them. Very frustrating but that's just what I'm left with. I really shouldn't have to do that but there's just literally no other options...

Side note:

I raised a support ticket for this issue with Corsair a couple of weeks ago, that still hasn't been responded to, that's very poor considering it was a DOA report on a brand new product along with the report of it blowing out my existing products. It's quite frustrating how poor the support is when things like this happen.

Similarly, I had a DOA issue with a brand new Elgato 4K Capture card (also a Corsair product) recently, they took 2 weeks to respond to that ticket.

At this point, any company still blaming "current conditions/COVID" for their woefully poor customer support are just doing themselves a bigger disservice after having almost 4 months to get it together. We've all had months to adjust and re-organise, stop using that as an excuse to mess people about. My support ticket has been unanswered for approx 10 days now, if Corsair really do have a big queue that long and I'm still nowhere near the top... COVID isn't to blame for that, not managing staffing resource within the last 3-4 months is to blame for that, sure there's been a surge in component purchases so in turn there should be an increase in support staff cover - again, 3-4 months to sort this out.

Anyway, not that anyone from Corsair will read this but the ticket is no longer required, thanks for nothing on that one.

Regardless, I'm over the moon with the end result... took 2 weeks too long to get here but once the last 2 fans are on the AIO it'll be sweet.

899968008_2020-06-1600_14.33-1.thumb.jpg.32d2f1f50c783251974a8b79a2b93fb1.jpg