Corsair Community

No Fan Control Commander Pro

CrosbyS87

Hi,

on friday i bought 4x CorsAir QL 140 Fans(with 2 Lightning Core), 3x QL120 Fans and 1 Commander Pro.

After some research in forums like this or YT i'm pretty sure that I've connected everything as it should be.

I have 3 QL120s for my Asus Ryujin 360 which are connected to the Ryujin and the RGB Header. My 4x QL 140s are for my case (Asus ROG Helios), i've connected them to the RGB Header and the commander pro. The 2 Lightning Node cores are plugged in my Commander Pro via USB.

I have the following 2 issues:

1) Im not able to control the fan speed. Its running on maximum the whole time.

2.) My Commander Pro seems not to find the Lightning Node cores. The Lightning cores doesntt show off in the Icue Software, so i'm not able to change the colours of my fans.

I tried a lot before i finally post here. I disabled the Q-Fan Control in Bios, I've changed the Fan Ports from Auto to 4Pin,I've checked if all cables are connected, etc.

Now i want to ask for your help. I have no idea to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CrosbyS87

The Core devices do lighting current and control only. Each should have a USB 2 connection that can piggy back on the Commander or the MB directly. They should show up in iCUE as a separate device. That means lighting set-up and patterns are in the Core devices and the fan speed control will be in the Commander tab.

"I've connected them to the RGB header". I hope you don't mean the motherboard's 12v or 5v headers. Wrong connection type and if 12v RGB wrong voltage. That will result in damage.

Leave the Commander settings on "4 pin". Auto should work, but sometimes it glitches. There also is no reason for the controller to test on every boot (12v applied). They will start up quietly if on 4 pin PWM.

Most new iCUE users get criss-crossed on the controls at the beginning. You must select a fan profile (it will highlight yellow), then click all the fans on the right you wish you apply it to. They will ring yellow when part of that profile group. In effect, you must paint the fans yellow to change the speed. They don't automatically change when you change the fan preset profile. The other thing is you want to get off the three presets as quickly as possible. It's CPU temp based and meaningless for most people, other than the up and down fan racing. Performance tab, click the + to create a new fan curve, rename it what you want. Pick a more meaningful control variable. GPU temp is a quick and understandable one for most people. Long term the temp probes that come with the Commander offer the smoothest control, but take time to learn and find good locations.

BIOS settings should have no effect on any of the Corsair devices.

"I've connected them to the RGB header". I hope you don't mean the motherboard's 12v or 5v headers. Wrong connection type and if 12v RGB wrong voltage. That will result in damage.

Thanks for your post. I meant the Lightning cores, not the RGB Header. Sorry, it was my fault.

I've tried your advice with the fan profile and by this way, im able to control the fan speed.

So I only have to find a solution to fix the problem, that my CoPro or iCue dont find/show my 2 Lightning cores which are connected via USB to my CoPro.

What motherboard series do you have? x570 seems to have some detection issues.

If not x570, try running a repair install of iCUE. Windows Settings -> Apps and click on Corsair iCUE. Select 'modify' and follow the prompts.

What motherboard series do you have? x570 seems to have some detection issues.

If not x570, try running a repair install of iCUE. Windows Settings -> Apps and click on Corsair iCUE. Select 'modify' and follow the prompts.

Yes, it's the x570 Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Wifi. So i have to wait for an Update it seems. Thanks for your help. My Rig is so quiet now :sunglasse

No update coming, at least on the device end. It seems most likely to be a hardware specification issue. It is largely confined to X570 owners as a blanket problem with normal sporadic Windows issues for other people. The Commander (pass through) and Platinum/XT coolers seem to be the most common affected devices. No idea what AMD changed, but there are some really long threads in here from affected users. Most of them resolve it with an intermediary device between the motherboard USB and Corsair devices. A lot use the NZXT USB 2 hub. It's relatively cheap seems to communicate effective with both devices on either end. For a lot of users this is helpful anyway with 1-2 USB internal not being enough. Unfortunately, the Commander was supposed to serve that purpose for you and it's not likely able to.

You can plug the Core devices directly into the motherboard, verify they do really show up, and then go to iCUE and set the Hardware Lighting. This is what the fans do when not in communication with the software (not running, boot/shutdown, etc). Pick something to tide you over for a few days, then disconnect, and put the Commander back on so you regain fan control. This can work the other way too with the Commander running from the temp probes (no software needed), but that is a more difficult task for a new user and requires some time on the machine to learn the temp ranges for various sensor points.