Corsair Community

VS1GBKIT400 problem

I bought a pair of Value Select ram VS1GBKIT400 (2 512mb DDR400) from Newegg.com. I used memtest86 and found out that one of them is bad so I sent the package (both modules) back to newegg and I recieved the replacement rather quickly but guess what? Another bad ram! I know maybe I should start a new thread, but this is not entirely off topic. If what Ramguy say is true can I just return the one bad module to corsair instead of newegg? And if I get just one module replaced would it be compatable with the good module in my 1gb kit? I know that they should be the same but appearently people have problems with it and yeah, they're sold in pairs for a reason.

Best regards,

Henry S.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton

Asus A7N8X motherboard, nForce 2 chipset

Originally with 2*256mb Infineon DDR333

Yes, the system is working with the Infineon sticks.

I dont know if this is a through test that will prove that one of the ram is bad, but I tried just plugging in one Value Select ram at a time and tested them. The good ram works in both of the memory slots while the bad ram fails at the same address in both.

• Corsair Employee

Please set the following settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure its not a setting problem.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Ramguy:

The motherboard supports only DDR333 and after I've pluged in the VSram. The bios shows PC2700 as well. I think the DDR400 can downclock itself without any problems. I used all the settings you described for the previous tests except that I have no way of knowing or adjusting the voltage from the bios...

• Corsair Employee
Yes you can adjust the voltage, but you need to scroll down the page to se it listed in Advanced Chipset. And the timings and frequency will need to be manually set with this MB. However you are welcome to try any setting you like.

Archived