Corsair Community

LL140 RGB fan connected to Asus ROG motherboard

messi

Hi there. I recently picked up a single pack of Corsair LL140 RGB, not realizing at the time that an additional hub and controller is required. I have checked online for the lighting node or twin pack LL140 but both are sold out in my area.

I have an ASUS rog strix x570-f motherboard with two addressable RGB headers. As a test, I plugged the LL140 directly into the motherboard, with the fan connected to the 12V 4-pin header and the RGB to the 5V 3-pin ARGB header (this one is slightly loose though). Upon booting the computer, the fan and RGB both powered on without any issue.

Considering that Corsair recommends using the node and hub, am I putting my motherboard fan and ARGB headers at risk? Also, does any one know what the amperage of the LL140 RGB lights is?

Thanks!

You shouldn't connect them at all -- wrong connector type. You are lucky if you survived the 12v attempt. Corsair RGB products are 5v. There are a few 3rd party connectors that will let you connect to the Asus style D-RGB header, but that will put the lighting control through Aura and well... be advised your lighting choices and colors will be limited.

An LL at full white will use approximately 0.6A for the lighting alone.

Thanks for the reply!

Isn't the LL fan power standard at 12v? I connected the LL140 fan power to the regular CHA_FAN header (4-pin 12v) on the board.

The RGB strip was connected to the addressable RGB header ADD_GEN2 (3 pin 5v) on the board, but im more concerned about conflicts with the pin configuration: 4-pin on LL vs. 4-1 pin on the board.

Edited by messi

I see. You were referring the the fan motor wire and not connecting the RGB cable to the 12v RGB header. Unfortunately people seem to want to do that a lot. The fan motor power/control is 12v standard and will work from any MB fan header. The RGB is 5v for Corsair strips and fans.