Corsair Community

Temperature issues with H115i

Eldularon

Hi,

Recently I cleaned up my computer from the dust and reapplied the thermal paste (because my CPU used to run really hot) and I noticed that my CPU still seems to run really hot.

I have an i7 6700K and pretty much the second I start my computer it runs at 35-40 degrees. I tried to stress test it and it easily reaches 95C when under 80% load or so. I reapplied the paste multiple times at this point and I am just not sure what could be causing this issue.

I have an H115i that is around 4 years old at that point but when I look into the link software it shows that the pump is working and so does the fan.

Honestly, I am a bit lost as to what might be causing it and would appreciate any help! I am not extremely proficient in hardware, so maybe I am overlooking something.

Thanks!

You need to look at the H115i Temp (coolant temperature) in iCUE/Link. That is measure of the coolers efficiency and general functionality. Most users will see an idle H115i Temp of 4-7C above room temperature. Load temps vary by CPU wattage and location, but a 6700K overclocked should only be about +6C absent any additional GPU heat bumping the entire case up.

One clear sign to look for is a slow, but continuous coolant temp climb while sitting on the desktop or any low load situation. If you cold boot up and can watch the H115i Temp skip counting up toward 50C, there is a blockage. If it's not that bad, you may need to apply a CPU test to reveal it. Something mild like CPU Z's Bench Stress test is linear and flat. You will jump to XX CPU temp as soon as it starts. The coolant should only go up 1C about every 30 seconds. Again, if you see it ticking up every few seconds, something is wrong.

Thanks for your response. I just switched off the computer and let it sit for 10 minutes to cool down - the second it started the temp in the link shows up as 35C for H115i and climbs up to 38C but then started going down and settled around 36C with 15% load or so. The temperature in the room is around 22C.

Immediately, the second computer started fan went to 1900 rpm (I don't think it was ever this loud before).

I tried CPU-Z test and at 60% load CPU gets to almost 100C. Coolant temperature goes up really quickly from 36 to 41 in less than 2 minutes.

What confuses me is that the pump seems to be working but I never had my CPU reaching this temperature that fast before.

It also sounds like it is about to lift off with fans at 2300 rpm.

PS. My CPU is not overclocked

Edited by Eldularon

36C is a bit high for idle, unless the room is near 30C. What happens with these slow flow or partial blockages is the coolant can't make the necessary trips per minute from cold plate to radiator and back. It's like turning the pump down to 250 rpm. Another way to poke at this is to change the pump speed from Quiet/Balanced to Extreme/Performance. This should have zero effect on temperature with no load. If you see the coolant temp "whoosh" down 2-3C instantly, that is another sign there some type of flow restriction.

Also, if the above theory is correct, the system can't dump its heat. This means the coolant stays elevated until it can naturally come back down to room temp. That can take hours if the coolant is +20C above ambient. Sometimes it is easier to see after the PC has been off for a length of time. It also again demonstrates the issue if you boot up in the morning and it starts off at 24C, but within 30 min it now idles at 36C.