Corsair Community

corsair hydro h45 water cooling pump sound is high

ItsGonePostal

hi im not sure if i posted in the right section, but i have a problem with my watercooler the waterpump sounds a bit high when i boot up my pc the sound is silent then it goes 1 sec and the sound is very high i have a full fan speed in the bios that you can pick and the rpms of the fans speed are. :pump value around 4285 and max its 4354. system fan 4 value around 1546 and max 1582. system fan 5 value around 1551 max 1597. i have my pc specs in my profile note that my pc isnt even one year old and i have talked with the company that i bought the pc from and they say its completely normal. sorry if my post is a bit messy english isnt my native language

The pump on that model runs the same speed all the time. It is a higher speed like most smaller radiator models to help offset that disadvantage. What you may be hearing is the fan blast off at boot. Most motherboards and fan controllers have an “auto-detect protocol” they run at boot each time to see if you have a DC 3 pin or 4 pin PWM connected. It sends a full voltage control signal to ensure the fan starts up. DC fans must always start this way. PWM fans use a constant 12v signal and do not need this step. If your motherboard allows it, set the header for the H45 fan to “PWM” in the BIOS.

The header connected to the pump should be set to “Full Speed” or disabled. That locks it at 12v all the time for the pump. The fan can be set to a more normal control curve.