Corsair Community

Uninstalling Corsair H100i to reapply thermalpaste

xximikeixx

As the title says, I'm attempting to uninstall my H100i RGB corsair AIO from my ryzen 5 3600 cpu. I've never taken off a CPU aio and I don't want to break the mobo/rip the cpu from its socket. Any tips or guides on how to properly remove it?

I try to do it as fast as I can after the computer is shut down.That way the thermal compound hasn't had time to cool down. Do not twist the pump off of the CPU. I have done that before and ruined a CPU with a bunch of bent pins. Just pull up and not with too much force.

I try to do it as fast as I can after the computer is shut down.That way the thermal compound hasn't had time to cool down. Do not twist the pump off of the CPU. I have done that before and ruined a CPU with a bunch of bent pins. Just pull up and not with too much force.

Great, thank you!

It's not too hard. The biggest obstacle usually is keeping the pump head from slamming around into stuff while you have it off. There will be tension in the tubes and it will want to jump on you. Aside from that, its not much different than putting it on any other time. TIM should come off easily. You don't need to be overly creative with your new application. When it comes time to tighten, turn each corner a little bit at a time. Hand tightening is always enough.

It's not too hard. The biggest obstacle usually is keeping the pump head from slamming around into stuff while you have it off. There will be tension in the tubes and it will want to jump on you. Aside from that, its not much different than putting it on any other time. TIM should come off easily. You don't need to be overly creative with your new application. When it comes time to tighten, turn each corner a little bit at a time. Hand tightening is always enough.

Awesome. I've seen videos where they use 70% isopropyl alcohol to take off the old thermal paste from the cpu. Is that fine to use or should I aim for 91% if it's available near me?

The higher the concentration the better and it will evaporate quicker. However, some places you just can't get 90%+. If you can't, you can't. Just give it an extra few minutes to make sure its dry before putting on the new layer of TIM.

The higher the concentration the better and it will evaporate quicker. However, some places you just can't get 90%+. If you can't, you can't. Just give it an extra few minutes to make sure its dry before putting on the new layer of TIM.

Thank you so much for all the help dude. I don't know if you noticed but I'm the same guy you commented on the post about the 9 corsair LL fan configuration for my case lol