Corsair Community

ICue disrupts Ryzen 3000 Voltages

natsukirei

Hello Team,

So recently i purchased a brand new system with an R5 3600 and a H100i cooler along with extra LL fans to match, after connecting it all up to the hub and loading up ICUE, i set my settings and forgot about it.

Then after a few gaming sessions i decided to check my idle temps and noticed very quickly that the CPU was stuck at max boost, and voltages were not changing much.

So to cut a long story short, after changing many bios settings, resetting, reinstalling windows , drivers etc.

I decided to check my CPU results with a fresh install and chipset drivers, everything is fine, clocks are going down and voltages are proper.

Installed iCUE, started iCUE, and instantly the CPU was stuck at max boost again and high voltages, the issue is ICUE and i am not the only one experiencing this, i have seen many reddit threads and no acknowledgement from corsair saying its being worked on.

The solution right now is to set the iCUE services to manual and stop iCUE from booting with windows, and apparently the profiles/settings still run.

I dont really have the tools to confirm its running, and my case is pretty silent so i cant tell the pump speed.

But this is pretty frustrating to deal with and i shouldnt have to mess with services and close iCUE just to get my cpu's clock speeds and voltages working.

My System

R5 3600

MSi B450 Pro Carbon AC - Latest bios

H100i Cooler and x3 LL120 Fans.

Reddit threads and other links.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189595

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190217

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188734

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188735

It's about time Corsair developers piped up and made a statement on this issue, at least that its been worked on.

AMD released a chipset update which fixed a lot of apps upping voltages, but iCUE is the only one people still have issues with.

Been talking about this for ages now. I'm convinced it's not going to get fixed. They don't see it as an issue, and thus nothing to fix. "It's the way it works now" or something like that, with CPU always loaded up and boosting.

Even though, like you said, my CPU temps, voltages, and power draw all drop significantly when iCUE is closed, as monitored with Ryzen Master and HwInfo (yes with the appropriate checkboxes ticked for Corsair compatibility). No other application I run in the background behaves like this, iCUE is the only one.

Unfortunately, I'm too invested in the ecosystem ($1,000+) to switch without a significant financial hit. But come next build, when all this stuff wears out and needs to be replaced, I will think twice about using Corsair, which is a shame because their hardware is great and has always served me well. DOn't get me wrong, the premise of iCUE is great, and it's a powerful tool that allows you to do a lot all within one application (WHEN IT WORKS AND DOESN'T BUG OUT OF COURSE). However, I think they're trying to do too much across too many devices with too little manpower to properly make it all work correctly.

Luckily Corsair has been updating all their devices with Hardware Profiles, so you can set up MOST of your devices to look and act how you want without iCUE running (not all of them - ST100 being an example).

For coolers and fan controllers (Commander Pro), the fan profiles are all stored in real time as you program them, so they will hold whatever profiles you had set before closing iCUE. The lighting has to be specifically configured, as do custom actions, macros, DPI settings, etc. For headsets, you're SOL on 7.1 surround and EQ profiles without iCUE running, though they have just recently updated them to be compatible with Windows virtual surround solutions (Windows Sonic, DTS Unbound, Dolby Access, etc), which wasn't always the case in the past.

So basically their "fix" isn't to fix the application itself, but rather give you workarounds in the form of hardware profiles to load when iCUE isn't running. I suspect iCUE is in such a state that it would require significant changes or a complete re-code all together to get it acting the way it should, otherwise this would have been fixed already so that running iCUE isn't an issue.

I wish someone would sit down and come up with a standard for RGB control and peripheral configuration, so that these companies can adhere to a global standard for this stuff, rather than forcing you into their own little close-nit ecosystems.

Edited by c00lkatz

Another thing I'd like to see is Corsair allow us to disable all the hardware monitoring. As far as I can see, it's always monitoring motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc., with no way to disable it. iCUE is not up to snuff for monitoring of this hardware! There are infinitely better applications out there dedicated to that, but iCUE has issues clashing with them. LET US TURN HARDWARE MONITORING OFF. This is an RGB and peripheral configuration application, NOT A HARDWARE MONITORING APPLICATION. Quit trying to do too much, and focus on fixing what this application is meant to do - control my damn fans, lights, and peripherals!

Been talking about this for ages now. I'm convinced it's not going to get fixed. They don't see it as an issue, and thus nothing to fix. "It's the way it works now" or something like that, with CPU always loaded up and boosting.

Even though, like you said, my CPU temps, voltages, and power draw all drop significantly when iCUE is closed, as monitored with Ryzen Master and HwInfo (yes with the appropriate checkboxes ticked for Corsair compatibility). No other application I run in the background behaves like this, iCUE is the only one.

Unfortunately, I'm too invested in the ecosystem ($1,000+) to switch without a significant financial hit. But come next build, when all this stuff wears out and needs to be replaced, I will think twice about using Corsair, which is a shame because their hardware is great and has always served me well. DOn't get me wrong, the premise of iCUE is great, and it's a powerful tool that allows you to do a lot all within one application (WHEN IT WORKS AND DOESN'T BUG OUT OF COURSE). However, I think they're trying to do too much across too many devices with too little manpower to properly make it all work correctly.

Luckily Corsair has been updating all their devices with Hardware Profiles, so you can set up MOST of your devices to look and act how you want without iCUE running (not all of them - ST100 being an example).

For coolers and fan controllers (Commander Pro), the fan profiles are all stored in real time as you program them, so they will hold whatever profiles you had set before closing iCUE. The lighting has to be specifically configured, as do custom actions, macros, DPI settings, etc. For headsets, you're SOL on 7.1 surround and EQ profiles without iCUE running, though they have just recently updated them to be compatible with Windows virtual surround solutions (Windows Sonic, DTS Unbound, Dolby Access, etc), which wasn't always the case in the past.

So basically their "fix" isn't to fix the application itself, but rather give you workarounds in the form of hardware profiles to load when iCUE isn't running. I suspect iCUE is in such a state that it would require significant changes or a complete re-code all together to get it acting the way it should, otherwise this would have been fixed already so that running iCUE isn't an issue.

I wish someone would sit down and come up with a standard for RGB control and peripheral configuration, so that these companies can adhere to a global standard for this stuff, rather than forcing you into their own little close-nit ecosystems.

i completely agree, its absolutely silly and they dont even acknowledge that theirs an issue, at least a response from corsair would be nice.

How did you get hardware profiles going? i want to close iCUE but it controls my pump and fan speeds

Another thing I'd like to see is Corsair allow us to disable all the hardware monitoring. As far as I can see, it's always monitoring motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc., with no way to disable it. iCUE is not up to snuff for monitoring of this hardware! There are infinitely better applications out there dedicated to that, but iCUE has issues clashing with them. LET US TURN HARDWARE MONITORING OFF. This is an RGB and peripheral configuration application, NOT A HARDWARE MONITORING APPLICATION. Quit trying to do too much, and focus on fixing what this application is meant to do - control my damn fans, lights, and peripherals!

Amen! It's such a shame too!