Corsair Community

Help with 512XMS

d3n1al

I bought a stick of XMS3200 ram a few days ago. My specs are as follows:

Shuttle Nforce2 an35n-ultra mobo

Geforce fx 5000 video

Watercooled koolance setup

I was running pc2100 (muchkin).

As soon as i put the new ram in my computer it randomly reboots and has serious errors, gives me mem errors on loading with a page default -wont run 3dmark and also wont run sis software-sandra professional 2005. I can not save anything to bios as it reboots and locks up, but when i replace it with the muchkin it runs perfectly fine. the memory stats are as follows on the side of the chip:

CMX512-3200LLPT

XMS3205v1.1

XMS3200

400MHZ

2226-T1

After bios reloads it runs at 400 but sometimes never loads, gets memory errors when i load windows, and randomly reboots. any ideas or rma?

Take the memory out, clear the BIOS by using the CMOS jumper, place the single Corsair stick into the system, set the memory and FSB to 166 Mhz (1:1 ratio), default settings, 2.7x or 2.8 volts for the memory, and save, see what happens.

• Corsair Employees

Please with just our XMS module installed and reset the bios with the Clear CMOS jumper and then enter the bios setup and set the following settings and work your way up from there:

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org

I ran the test once and it passed- tring your settings.. But whenever I change a bios setting within ram it reboots without question and this only happens with the corsair ram. It still reboots every now and then, gonna run the tests again in the morning. any ideas?

• Corsair Employees

I dont understand what you are trying to say. If the modules pass and run your system with the settings I gave you, but you are trying to set some other setting and haveing a problem, please explain exactly what it is you are trying to do. However, with the CPU you have the settings I gave you are what you should be running for best performance.

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

I think I fixed the problem- let me explain,

When i tried your settings that you told me-timings and fsb speed, i would save the settings and then the entire system would lock up completely, I would have to either clear the cmos and reset bios, and switch out memory. After that I would have to switch back to the corsair and it would proceed to boot and reset the bios to defaults, then would load windows. It still randomly reboots and I will do a memory test on it tomorrow. I have it at a friends house atm and its working fine, I think I have a bios problem, or motherboard issue. thanks for the help, I'll let you know what happens when i let the test run 3 times, if i can get it to boot.

Archived