Corsair Community

Some what lost RM1000i

rci124

I have some experience building my own PCs. This is the first one with a modular power supply and I am not sure what cables to use. I have a Corsair 450D case, AsRock X570 Creator MB, Ryzen 3950, 64 GB memory, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, 2-M.2 Drives, 1 SATA drive, 1 optical drive, and a card reader. I got a re-certified RM1000i from Newegg. There was no documentation with it. Is there a wiring diagram or manual I can download. Or can someone explain what wires I will need to hook up the components I have. At some point I want to get some data off an old HD the molex connectors.

Thank you

The main and obvious cable is the 24-pin ATX one. Should only go in one spot on your PSU and the slot on the right of your mobo is pretty obvious too.

Next you have the 2 auxiliary CPU power connectors, 1 x 8 pin and 1 x 4 pin beside each other, NW of your CPU socket. You will need one of these connected, both if you plan to heavily overclock.

I didn't see mention of a Graphics card. This will need 1 or 2 x 6 or 8 pin PCIE power cables, depending on your card.

M.2 drives get power from the mobo slot so no cables there.

SATA drive needs one SATA power connector as well as the data connector.

Looks like the AIO will need power as well, most probably a SATA connector.

You should have a couple of Molex connectors in your cable package as well for that legacy drive you mentioned.

I have the 24 pin on the MB located and the cable connected to the PS. I know where the 1 x 8 pin and 1 x 4 pin connections are (upper right hand corner) on the MB, but I am not sue what cables to connect to the PS for those connections to the MB. I know the M.2 drives plug into the MB for power and data. I have data cables for the SATA drive date but no 4 pin power connectors. The only connector from the AIO cooler is a four pin power connector, that I see. I think the the data cables for the AIO cooler run through the tubing. The video card is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Video Card with a 8 pin connector. The optical drive and the SATA HD will use SATA connectors for data but I don't see power connectors for the drives. There are a lot of cables included with the PS but I don't see any 4 pin power cables. A video would be great!!!! Edited by rci124

I can't help with a video, maybe someone with better videoing skills than me can jump in there !!!

Regarding your SATA though, here's a (blurry) photo of one of my SATA power cables, This is for an HX1200 PSU (which I am now not getting), but your RM-1000 will be similar. The back of your optical drive and any new mechanical disks will have 2 SATA connectors. A "long" one, and a "short" one. Ironically, the "short" one is for data, the "long" one is for power. This is what you are looking at here, the PSU --> long SATA connector for power. If you look at the SATA disk connectors on your motherboard, you will see they are all "short".

vTEaPP8.jpg

For your Graphics card cable, you are looking for something with "PCI-E" stamped on the side of the connector. There may be a 6+2 cable that will work in both a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. Graphics cards today have varying combinations of 1 and 2 6 and 8 pin connectors so PSU manufacturers have to try to be as flexible as they can be.

I was thinking the long one was for data and the short was power. This clears things up. There are 2 different cables for the SATA and Molex and they both plug into a SATA ports on the PSU. What I have plugged into the PSU is 5 cables. 1 - 24 pin, 1- 6+2 , 3 - SATA. Unfortunately I have to use 2 SATA power cables 1 for the HD and 1 for the OD. One cable won't be long enough if I route it through the cabling trays.

Do you know what the Micro USB is for? It could be for the iCue. I wish there was documentation for this PSU. I can't find any online.

I have another cable identical to the photo I posted above which has a Molex connector instead of a SATA connector. So on your PSU end of the cable *should* be the same for both a SATA power strip and a Molex power strip. I did learn here recently that Molex connectors deliver more power than SATA which is why the Corsair Hydro-X pump/res device still has a Molex connector instead of SATA, because SATA can't deliver the power that the D5 pump needs.

After doing some research I think I am going to purchase a IDE or SATA/SATA II Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure Case https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PHLMAE/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29Y8OP2GPR7PE So I won't need a cable with a molex end. The daisy chained SATA cable is just long enough to connect the HD and OD.

I do have one more question about the Corsair Link. There are to connection ports on the back of the PSU 1 is a mini USB and other is a 4 pin connector. Do I need to hook up both cables and if so where does the 4 pin connect to on the MB?

As a general rule Corsair Link has been EOLd (End of Life'd) and the way forward is iCue. Many folks here though still use Link as they prefer the interface so it will still work, but when you need to troubleshoot anything you won't get a lot of love from Corsair if you are using Link instead of iCue.

You should have a cable in your cable pack which will connect from the microUSB port on your PSU to a spare USB2 9 pin internal header on your motherboard (or Corsair Commander Pro if you have one of those). I *believe* that the 4 pin outlet above the microUSB is for a Corsair Link cable which you probably don't have, but I could be wrong there so if someone else says something different probably go with them :-)