Corsair Community

QL 120 fans RPM too low

Dragon_Nexus

Hi everyone.

Recently built a Pc with QL fans, commander pro, lighting node core and all that good stuff.

I noticed yesterday one of my fans seems to want to switch off and stop for a moment and then spin up again. During gaming I didn't notice it switch off at all, but I've noticed it a bit more now.

I figured I'd keep an eye on it and noticed another one is also at a lower RPM than it should be. I changed the profile to be basically maximum RPM at all times and while four of them are at around 1600, the other two are sitting around 1000.

1730814427_QLFanRPM.thumb.png.3de22f49931fb0809cf43d00c41e73dd.png

Are they faulty or is there something I'm missing?

Get them off your CPU temperature. Case fans don't have any effect on that and it may be changing to rapidly and too often for the fans to keep up. Seems to be a bigger issue with AMD CPU data. If you want to test fan response, use the fixed RPM or fixed %. If those are all QL fans, you can change the setting from Auto to 4 pin in the Commander settings. There is no need for it do a fan test each boot and occasionally you get a fan that gives a bad read in the test and the controller thinks it is DC instead of PWM.

GPU temp would be a better choice from what's available and it likely a known temp range to you. You also can use the temp sensors that come with the Commander. This is the controllers native source and will take air temp readings. A rear exhaust probe is a good one for control and any others you want can be informational or control.

Edited by c-attack

I'm not sure what you mean by a fan test at boot, since I've not seen that option anywhere (I could easily have missed it).

Even at a fixed RPM of 1000 fan 5 is occasionally stopping. I'll see it go right to a complete stop, maybe twitch once or twice, then spin up. It'll do it seemingly at random and no other fan comes to a complete stop that I can see. The three intakes on the bottom of the case are noticable because it's right next to me and I see it happen out of the corner of my eye.

I've set them all to 4-pin, rebooted my computer and it was doing it still as the computer was booting up.

I'm hoping it's not actually faulty since I built this thing a couple of weeks ago and only now over the last 3 or 4 days is it doing it.

I'm still new to fan curves and the like, first PC I've built in 10 years. Last one the fans were just 'on', mobo wasn't apparently smart enough to have curves or anything.

A “fan test” at power up is how the controller checks if you are running a DC or PWM motor fan. It does this by briefly maxing the fan to 100%. All DC fans do this. PWM do not if the controller knows they are PWM.

Swap the troublesome fan #5 with 4 or 6 or whatever. See if the issues stays with slot 5 or follows the fan to the new header.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply.

The day after you gave me that suggestion, the fan just started working again and hadn't slowed down since. Until today when it was doing it again. So I switched 5 and 6 around and just noticed 6 is now slowing down.

So I can assume it's not a fan problem and instead a Commander Pro problem?

[Edit] Saw somewhere changing the SATA cable might help. It didn't. I had originally hooked the commander pro up to the same SATA as my hard drives, so I gave them a cable just for the commander pro and the lighting node core. When I turned the Pc on, the fan in slot 5 was immediately having issues spinning up, as before.

Edited by Dragon_Nexus

Fan problem is what I *don't* think it is.

Maybe I explained it wrong.

Fan 5 was occasionally stopping (Let's call it fan A for clarity). Fan 6 was fine (Fan B).

So originally slot 5 is fan A and slot 6 is fan B.

Swapping the cables slot 5 is B and slot 6 is A. After swapping the originally stopping Fan A worked fine but now fan B was stopping.

That's probably no clearer.

It feels more to me that the Commander Pro might be the issue? Port 5 on the commander might be faulty?

Yes, your explanation made me think Fan #5 was still acting poorly on header #6. If the problem is tied to header #5, whatever fan is there, then you made want to try cleaning out the cooling config and see if that helps.

Quit iCUE and all Corsair services from the task manager. Go to C:Users/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/Cooling and cut and paste the config file in there to the desktop. Now relaunch iCUE. You will be back at default curves with no settings. Re-create your cooling curve. Of course there is a chance port #5 has a hardware issue and that would require a replacement or living with it and using a 2 way PWM splitter on another header.

I was already dubious when I shut the processes down and removed the file and the fan was already stopping by itself with all processes down.

Going back in and setting it to 850 static did seem to fix it for a few minutes. And then it didn't.

And it seems slot 1 is also playing up again, not going further than 850.

One day I'll build a computer that just works out the box with no issues. I suppose getting a couple of splitters would be an easier job than trying to return something during the current crisis. Thanks for the help.

I don't know. If you still have vendor return options, you might jump on that now. If not, you will have Corsair warranty left for a while. One header I might tolerate. At two, I am not so sure. You can always start the support ticket now, regardless of your intention. "Support Ticket System" link is in the header at the top of the page.

I went into settings, forced a restart of iCue services and the fan started going to the right RPM again. I remember it fixed itself for some reason, that must have been why. Doesn't help the faulty port, sadly. That one seems to not work even when iCue isn't even running.

It's just awkward when I'm shielding from coronavirus as well as having 6 fans that otherwise will not be powered in my system. My mobo only has so many PWM headers.