Corsair Community

H150i, LL120 fans

celicynd

I recently built my current system. I purchased the 465x case, which uses LL120 fans on the front, so I swapped those with the fans that came with the H150i radiator.

I recently noticed that the black LL120s only have a 1500 RPM speed, while the whites go up to 2200. I had installed three whites for exhaust (2 on top, 1 in the rear) without realizing those were capable of higher RPM.

Was curious, should I actually swap the fans so that the higher RPM ones are on the radiator? I'm thinking having the higher RPM might work better for pushing air through the radiator.

I had also been thinking of installing the fans that came with the radiator on the other side of it for push/pull (well, two of them anyway, I don't think the third would fit at the bottom because of the PSU shroud), but wasn't sure if installing fans with higher RPM on the pull side would work properly with the fans pushing air from the outside running slower.

Only if you intend to regularly run them at faster than 1500 rpm. At anything less, both fans move the same amount of air at the same speed.

This is your choice, but you really shouldn't need high fan speeds on 3700x with a 360mm radiator. That is the benefit of the larger size. You can let it mope along at no more than 1000 rpm and it won't hurt. You surely can hit some high CPU temp number when pushing the CPU, but coolers and fans are still a watts in/watts out measurement. Your power efficient Ryzen won't generate the same level of coolant rise as a higher TDP CPU. Look at your normal coolant rise now. It is likely only +5-6C and +3C is about the minimum floor regardless of settings. There isn't a lot of ground to make up there.

You get diminishing returns at higher fan speeds. Depending on the temperature differential between the intake air and the coolant, higher speeds may not provide any additional benefit - unless you like your system to sound like a plane about to take off.

You can certainly try it. But I think that it's unlikely, in most cases, to make anything more than a marginal difference. The idea, of course, is to run the fans at the lowest possible speed while still getting the desired performance.

Thanks much to both of you. I think I'll stick with the way it is then. Truthfully, I was hoping that was the case, as I wasn't looking forward to taking out the radiator and rerouting all the fan wiring. :)