Corsair Community

H115i - no CPU fan detected

7324johns

I have a quirk with my H115i which happens only a few times a year.

I power the machine on and the light flashes red to indicate a problem - alas there is "no CPU fan detected".

Others who have experienced this issue seem to have high temps as well - my temps remain normal (about 35' while overclocked).

To fix the issue i just loosen the mounts, give the cooler a little wiggle, tighten up again and the system is fine for another few months.

Has anyone else had this or is it just me?

No CPU fan detected means the BIOS cannot see the cooler on the other end. That could mean a serious issue with cooler's circuity, but since you are still up and running it might be as simple as a nick in the wire leading back to CPU fan. Absent obvious physical damage, that's not something you can tell by looking at it.

However, this should not be related to the CPU mount tension and I would be very careful about doing that. If the pump is mounted too tightly, you won't get a CPU fan error. You'll get one of those horrible "00" MB codes that indicates there is a fatal problem with your CPU. You won't make it past 0.1 seconds into boot before it stops at a black screen. With the 'CPU fan error' it should take you to the BIOS so you can look around. Note the CPU temp and if it is slowly climbing.

The rather infrequent nature leads me toward the a problem with the tachometer wire back to the pump, but there is no real way to be sure. If the CPU cooler appears to stop working while up running, that is a sure sign it has a power issue. That would not be isolated to the power on moment and could occur at any time. I think you would notice this and likely a whoosh of fan speed from the cooler seconds later.

However, you may want to reach out to Corsair Tech Support and see what they think. Which "H115i" is this? GTX/v2 from a few years back? Pro? Platinum?