Corsair Community

Confused about what I need to buy

Benjii

I'd like to buy 10 QL120's and a H150i RGB PRO XT. 3 to replace the fans on the H150i and 7 for the case. I've had a good search on this forum and read Zotty's thread on how this all works, but I'm still confused as to what additional items I need to buy.

As it stands, I'll have:

1 H150i

10 QL120's

3 Lighting Node CORE

What else do I have to buy for maximum functionality? As I understand I'll need at least 1 Commander Pro and some fan splitters, but I'm not sure if that's it and how they connect to each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The H150i XT will take fan control for its 3 fans. The remaining 7 can go on one Commander with one simple PWM 2 way splitter. Technically, the Commander is not necessary and you could run all of these fans from the MB or another fan controller. However, it does make things more flexible.

The Commander solves a few problems. It brings all fans into iCUE for desktop software control. It provides 2 USB pass through ports for the Core lighting controllers. Without it, you will need three USB 2 ports. That's more than any motherboard has, which means a powered USB 2 hub. With the Commander, you can cut that down to two (H150i and C-Pro). That may save you the hub. It also leaves you another option to connect the QL fans via RGB Lighting Hubs and use the RGB channels instead of USB ports or add strips, etc without needing another lighting controller.

The two on the splitter would share the same control signal and run the same speed. Surely you don't need independent control for all 10 fans? 10 is an interesting number. If this were a case like a Lian Li O11, there is no reason to run the various sets of 3x120 at different speeds. Either way you would have independent control over 9 of the 10 in this arrangement.

You're absolutely right, I don't need separate speed control for that many. Ultimately, they're probably all going to be running the same speed. I meant RGB control, some of the cooler patterns involve having only one fan lit at a time. Is that still possible on a splitter cable?

edit - I think I understand actually. The RGB control comes from the Lighting Node CORE. As they have 6 ports and I'd only need 2 of them. I then connect those 2 Lighting Node COREs to the Commander PRO. Then as far as PWM control goes, as you say, 3 would be controlled by the AIO and 7 from the Commander Pro, with 2 of them doubling up on one port. Is that correct?

Edited by Benjii

That’s correct. Two separate wires and control for fan speed and lighting so there is no overlap. The lighting will be individually controllable down to every single LED and each fan will have its own lighting port. It will take two controllers (Lighting Node Core) to handle 10 fans. Think about how you want to group them (6+4, 5+5, etc). Each RGB channel or device will act and program like one group.
  • Confused 1