Corsair Community

Errors on Test #5 - VS512MB400C3

I bought a pair of DDR memory from newegg and get continuous failures on Test #5 of memtest. I returned them to Newegg and got back a pair (could be the same) that have the same failure. I tried switching sockets and tested other memory (a single stick of another kind) to make sure it was not my motherboard.

My motherboard is a MSI K7N2 Delta2 with an AMD 3200+ 400FSB Athlon XP. I also played around with positions and anything else I could think of to test the memory, I believe the sticks are bad.

I bought a pair of DDR memory from newegg and get continuous failures on Test #5 of memtest. I returned them to Newegg and got back a pair (could be the same) that have the same failure. I tried switching sockets and tested other memory (a single stick of another kind) to make sure it was not my motherboard.

My motherboard is a MSI K7N2 Delta2 with an AMD 3200+ 400FSB Athlon XP. I also played around with positions and anything else I could think of to test the memory, I believe the sticks are bad.

I should add that I really mean 200FSB which I have run the tests on. I switched to 133FSB with the same result and used the default settings for the timings. I upped the voltage to 2.7 and 2.75 (as I read in an earlier post with someone having similar problems).

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I tried Optimal settings (the default), below are the specifics

CPU Voltage: CPU Default

Mem Voltage: 2.70 (also tried 2.75)

FSB Freq: 200

CPU Ratio: Default

FSB:DRAM: 1:1

T(RAS): 7 (also tried 8)

T(RCD): 3

T(RP): 3

CAS L: 2.5

• Corsair Employee

The timings for this module should be Cass 3-3-3-8 or 3-4-4-8.

But I have no problem replacing the module.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

The timings for this module should be Cass 3-3-3-8 or 3-4-4-8.

But I have no problem replacing the module.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I tried those setting and still had numerous errors on Test #5. I am going to request the RMA, thank you for the quick response.

• 3 weeks later...

I received the modules but have errors and I believe it's a compatibility issue with the board. I noticed, however, that the board K7N2 Delta 2 is listed as compatibile on Corsair's website, yet other have similar problems on the MSI support forum (they say the board is picky about any "value" RAM).

Basically, Test 5 fails for both, but individually the sticks pass. I tried disabling the DDR but it still fails Test 5, I also tried swapping another good memory stick and trying DDR and non-DDR and it fails test 5.

What should I do? Should I contact MSI, buy new memory, a new motherboard? I feel kind of stuck now, any suggestions?

• Corsair Employee
Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the exact bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Can you tell me the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the exact bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

Sure, the CPU Speed is 2200Mhz (200Mhz x 11.0) and the FSB is 200. I have tried a lower FSB without success. Also, I am posting in MSI's forum to see if it is a motherboard issue or not, but having read other posts, it appears as a compatibility issue. I wouldn't mind paying the difference between the ValueSelect and a better memory (XMS?) but I'm not sure this is possible.

Also, the settings I have on the memory are 8-3-3-3.0 and 2.75 for the voltage. The performance settings are on optimal, which is the lowest setting (for compatibility).

And do you mean you have a 3200+ that runs at 200 X 100 or 2200+ that runs at 133 Mhz that you are over clocking?

I mean an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton 400MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXDA3200BOX - Retail

I'm not overclocking

Also, I've reached a point where I don't know what to do. I'm posted at in the MSI Forum here and now feel I'm running in circles (they seem to want me to swap out a PSU which I don't have).

Now, I notice on Corsair's site they say the memory is compatible with my board and that could be viewed here. I might add that this WAS a factor in my purchase decision from newegg.com. Now, I also see in the MSI Forum that there is talk about Corsair admitting their modules don't work well with nForce2 board (look at the second post here). Is it true? I mean who am I to believe? I'm going to try and see if I can swap another kind of memory that is DDR from a friend's but I'm not sure I will be able to (also, I know that memory will not be "top of the line").

Any suggestion on what I should do?

• Corsair Employee

Well that's total hog wash and probably started by one of our competitors. Our modules work fine with just about any MB. If they will not run on a system then you have a failing MB and or CPU.

Please call our Tech support at 888-222-4346 and choose option "2" and we will do our best to help you. But I would encourage you to test the modules in another system if you can as it is beginning to sound like you have some other issue.

Well that's total hog wash and probably started by one of our competitors. Our modules work fine with just about any MB. If they will not run on a system then you have a failing MB and or CPU.

Please call our Tech support at 888-222-4346 and choose option "2" and we will do our best to help you. But I would encourage you to test the modules in another system if you can as it is beginning to sound like you have some other issue.

They tested fine in another system so it must be the motherboard. My only concern is why Corsair marked them as compatible, or if they are compatible. You guys have been helpful, I'm thinking of just buying a different motherboard. Any preferences or suggestions?

I am sorry I cant suggest one MB over another as it causes a conflict of interest for me. But I would maybe check XMS Qualification and Testing and see what MB we use to validate the modules you have would be where to start.

I choose an ASUS from newegg and I noticed that at least two people in the comments were using Corsair ValueSelect. Thank you for all you help.

I choose an ASUS from newegg and I noticed that at least two people in the comments were using Corsair ValueSelect. Thank you for all you help.

I am experiencing the same problem you had with memtest memory errors on my newegg.com purchase of xms twinx1024-3200C2, but on an Asus A7N8X-e Deluxe (Bios 1013) mb. I upgraded from Value Select because I was receiving IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL errors that crashed my system, more and more until unoperable. Not sure what to do (need my computer badly). I set the latecy based on the mb report Corsair provides online. Asus tech could not explain my bsod error.

MDH, what CPU / FSB do you have?

Athlon 2600+ 133/266fsb

I'm thinking its something with the mb since 4 different modules produce memory errors in memtest. I suppose it could also be the CPU. I just purchased a new Gibabyte motherboard and the memory is testing fine. I'll see what happens with my RMA from Asus.

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the following settings and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and lets make sure one is not failing!

Dim Voltage 2.7 Volts

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 8

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default