Corsair Community

VS512MB400C3 with CMX512-3200C2?

Waldo783

So I just bought this brand new stick of ValueSelect Corsair RAM 512MB (VS512MB400C3) and I am having some trouble getting it to work.

My current configuration:

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon 2200+ (1.79 GHz)

GeForce 4 Ti-4200

512 MB PC3200 DDR400 Corsair XMS RAM (CMX512-3200C2)

80GB HD

AZZA Motherboard (the AZZA system utility gives this info:)

Name: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG

ID: 6A6LYP89

Media Size: 256Kb (2 Mbit)

Signon String: KT40ALHI.B1O FOR KT 400-ALH / ANH

Total Physical Memory: 512 MB

My motherboard has 3 memory slots, 2 empty ones next to my existing stick of 512MB. I installed the new memory stick in the middle slot and attempted to start up the computer. I get an error preventing startup saying a file /system/config is corrupt or missing and recommends I use my Windows System Restore CD to repair it. Well, when I attempt to load windows from the CD, everything locks up. I try numerous times after several restarts and the computer locks up and different times, all before the Restoration CD is able to load.

Since then, I've tried putting the new memory stick in the other empty memory slot and even tried removing my original stick and replacing it with the new ValueSelect one. When I do this, the computer starts up and runs just fine, leading me to believe my new memory stick is not defective.

When I tried to add the original XMS stick, the computer locks up during startup again. Are these 2 seemingly similar sticks of memory not compatible for some reason? Is there something else I should be doing to get my new memory installed and working correctly? Should I start packing up the new stick and hoping I can return it for a refund?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

It is not recommended to mix modules of different part #s or revision #s. You should either replace the new VS stick with a CMX512-3200C2 that matches the old one's revision, or replace them both with a TwinX pack.

You could try these timings first though:

CAS Latency: 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

Row Precharge (tRP): 4

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Memory voltage: 2.7x or 2.8 volts

It is not recommended to mix modules of different part #s or revision #s. You should either replace the new VS stick with a CMX512-3200C2 that matches the old one's revision, or replace them both with a TwinX pack.

You could try these timings first though:

CAS Latency: 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

Row Precharge (tRP): 4

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Memory voltage: 2.7x or 2.8 volts

Thanks for the advice. How would I go about changing the timings, though?

Look in your mainboard's manual under "BIOS".

I've been looking for "AZZA" motherboards and of yet havn't come up with anything! I've never even heard of them, to be honest.

If you can give me the model name of your board, it might help me locate the specific hardware you have.

PLUR

CK

Archived