Corsair Community

HX 1200i question

gec5741

hello,

I built my computer a few months ago and things have been running great. Yesterday however I had a weird issue where the computer would not boot. When pushing the power button it was like it would try to fire up for a second then go dark. I could see the lights on the mother board light up for a second hear a click then go dark and repeat over and over. the case has a power supply shroud so I took that out and reseated all the psu cables. I am running modified cables purchased through cable mod so I also tried to connect the cables that came with my power supply. I have a corsair HX1200i PSU btw. After reseating and changing out cables I had same issue. Next I took out 2 memory modules. After doing so the pc fired up but non of my peripherals came to life. I had to push and hold the power button to turn it off. I then reseated all memory and while doing so one of the chips possibly was not seated all the way in as it didn't "snap" in. I seated all memory back in so it snapped in place and the computer powered up fine and has been running without issues so far this morning. My question is that without the PSU Shroud covering the power supply I notice that the fan on top never spins. When I turn the pc on it does kick on for a split second but only enough to make it spin a few times then nothing. I'm betting that this is due to design and it will only kick on if needed? when building the computer I did not have enough usb headers to connect the link cable so I'm not able to manage the PSU yet. Last night I ordered a NZXT internal usb hub so I will get it connected but I just wanted to verify that the fan on my psu not spinning is normal and I don't need to look to RMA it? Thanks in advance!

• Corsair Employees
The power supply fan has by default a Zero RPM mode. What this means is it will spin for a second or two on initial boot up for a self test and then it will turn off. The fan will then not spin up again unless the PSU hits a specified load threshold or temperature threshold as it is capable of keeping itself passively cooled.

Great that is what I thought was the case but just wanted to make sure first hand. I still plan to get it connected so I can monitor things. hopefully my weird issue was just the memory some how came giggled loose a bit if it never snapped in properly. Thank you for your reply!