Corsair Community

Question regarding fan speeds/profiles

Sh3llShock

Hi,

So I purchased my first water cooler. Corsair H115i pro 280mm rad with 2 140mm fans. Installation took 4 hours. It was a pain to remove the old fan cpu cooling system and clean the case but now everything is plugged up and working. Although, I am a bit confused about the fan speeds reported in the iCue Software.

First, let me point out that the Corsair Cooler is plugged into CPU_FAN. I have two additional Insignia 120mm fans I installed in the top of my case and they are plugged into pump_fan using a splitter. They are for exhaust.

So, when I was purchasing the Corsair cooler I remember someone saying to download the software and change it from quite mode as it is set to that by default. I did this. I set the three items that showed up to Extreme. I noticed the item named "Pump" is running at over 2000+ RPM. The other two items named "Fan 1" and Fan 2" are running at 800RPM on Extreme mode. I don't know exactly what fans Pump refers to that are spinning at 2000+ RPM. I assumed Fan 1 and 2 are the two fans attached to the radiator. I am not using a controller or anything to connect all the fans. As I stated, the Corsair fans go directly into CPU_FAN. I would of thought in "extreme" mode those fans would spin up to max which I believe the specs say 1200 RPM.

I set a custom fan profile called Gaming and noticed that the RPM's on Fan 1 and 2 increased from around 800 up to 1000-1100RPM. This is a bit better although it seems I am only able to apply this custom fan curve to Fans 1 and 2. See screenshot attached. You will see the item Pump still set on Extreme. Now, I have switched the sensor between the i7 and the H115i and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I don't have any sensors I installed in the system. What is the best variable to set for that sensor? Should it be the Corsair Pro or the i7? In the list they give you a choice to choose each of the 8 cores or the i7 "package" which I have to assume is all of them?

Can anyone enlighten me on what I am looking at when I see Pump, Fan 1 and Fan 2. Also, does it matter if in my BIOS OC profile I have it set so all PWM fans are 100% or will this only effect the PWM fans that are not Corsair? I assume that is the case. My goal is to have the Corsair H115i Pro to run at 100% or if possible, create a fan curve so the fans increase in RPM when the temps get above 40 or whatever.

Any advice is appreciated. I have not had a chance to test the temps but I did run Doom Eternal for 5 minutes and the temps before would get up to 75 on average, sometimes 80. It didn't go above 65c, but it was only 5 minutes. Sorry for the rambling. I am tired after putting that together and now trying to get the software right.

Regards,

Corsair_ICUE_Profile.thumb.JPG.ec0d2a8ad1a16c7025bd2beca4125931.JPG

I would suggest that you give the AIO FAQ linked in my signature a read through.

Pump temp is the correct temp to use for control. The FAQ explains why. There is also guidance for a custom fan curve in there as well.

Your fan speeds are as expected. The coolant temp is 28C. Spinning the fans won't gain you anything at that point except bunch more noise.

The Pump speed is just that ... the speed of the pump in the cooler. It's integrated into the block mounted on the CPU. Extreme on the pump speeds is typically unnecessary.

I would suggest that you give the AIO FAQ linked in my signature a read through.

Pump temp is the correct temp to use for control. The FAQ explains why. There is also guidance for a custom fan curve in there as well.

Your fan speeds are as expected. The coolant temp is 28C. Spinning the fans won't gain you anything at that point except bunch more noise.

The Pump speed is just that ... the speed of the pump in the cooler. It's integrated into the block mounted on the CPU. Extreme on the pump speeds is typically unnecessary.

Thanks. I will check out that FAQ tomorrow while at work. I set the pump temp for the control and the fans spun down to 800rpm except the one named pump which is still in the 2k range. Anyways, i will check out that info and see what I can learn. Thanks for clarification. I just really want to see a decrease in my CPU temp when playing games. I play on high/ultra settings and the CPU temp along with GPU temp can heat up this office quick.

I also want to point out that the Corsair cooler fans and the other 3 case fans I have that are running at max is very quiet which is super surprising. I was expecting a much louder noise but this is a huge improvement over the Hyper 212 EVO air cooler I had. When that was running at 100% it was loud. I am glad I was able to get this and get it on sale!

Hi DevBiker,

I apologize for bothering you but I have some follow-up in regards to the FAQ I read.

1) It states you can create a static fan/light profile in the software by clicking the icon that looks like a sd card. I don't see any such button. Do I have to just leave the software running as a background process? I don't mind it.

2) For custom fan curves, how do I apply a custom fan curve to the Pump. Again, if you look at my attached screenshot in my original post, my Pump is on Extreme but the two fans are set to my gaming fan curve. How can I apply it? It doesn't allow me. Do I need to change one of the preset fan curves to how I want it and that apply it to the pump? I don't know if that is possible.

Outside of this, the FAQ was informational. I think the problem I am wrestling with at the moment is that my GPU generates a lot of heat in my Phantek P400 case and I have a Micro-ATX motherboard. I put the cooler up front which is the only place it can go anyways. Fans are blowing in. I noticed you also have a Phantek case but a different model. I don't know if you are aware of the P400 and P400s but with the cooler mounted in the front, there is only a few inches until you hit the front PC case. Not really any good airflow there. Now, I installed two new fans on the top of the case for exhaust because heat rises so I assumed with the cooler blowing air into the case, and the GPU putting off this heat, it would go out the back and top. People have recommended drilling holes in the front of the case(Not just willy nillly) and I have seen some really nice cut out designs people have done. Do you think it would be beneficial to drill or cut out parts of the front panel so air is coming in through there? This is not really a question related to the Corsair software but if you or anyone has an opinion on that or has used a Phantek P400 case before, recommendations on how to obtain the best air flow is appreciated.