Corsair Community

680X and Commander Pro

logue1993

Hey everyone!

Just got my 680X, it's a gorgeous case! However, I'm having trouble controlling the 3 included LL120 fans through my Commander Pro.

First things first: I HAVE used Noctua fans with my Commander Pro for a while (the Industrial PPC 3000RPM kind), until they stopped working. I found out that these fans are not so easily controlled because of motor differences with the regular type of fans.

So now I'm afraid that some of the Fan ports in my Commander are dead...

I've got everything connected and working, but I can't control the 3 front fans that are included with the case. My setup is as follows:

The 3 included fans (LL120) are connected to the Fan LED Hub (in positions 1, 2 and 3). The Fan LED Hub is then connected to the Lighting Node Pro, which itself is connected to the Commander Pro.

My Commander Pro receives two USB connections: 1 from the Lighting Node Pro (included with the case) and 1 from my RM850i (to monitor power and voltages). Also, there are 5 fans connected to it: the 3 in the front (which are the ones I'm having trouble with), 1x140mm Noctua (NOT INDUSTRIAL PPC) at the back (exhaust) and 1x120mm Noctua at the top, at the rear, also as exhaust (this one IS a Industrial PPC 3000, but since it's a 120mm, for some reason the Commander Pro works just fine with it).

Weird thing is: the LEDs are all working (fans, my TWELVE strips - YEP), even the 3 in the front. I can control them just fine, change effects, etc. However they don't spin at all. Changing "fan profiles" through ICue does nothing. And the worst part is sometimes only ONE of the 3 spins for a little, then stops right after 1 second or something.

Has my commander pro been killed by those 140mm noctua fans? And that's why I can't control those 3 front fans now?

Please help!

Simple move the Noctua to the first 2 slots and then put the LL120s on 3,4 and 5. Or remove them and just leave the 3 ll120s connected. Or remove the whole commander pro out the picture and test it with the lighting node first to see if the color control works with it.

Can also try to force flash the firmware on the last attempt if nothing else works.

It's a port issue. I now would like to find out if I can recover these "dead" ports, since the rest of the Commander Pro works fine. I have 2 Noctua 3000 fans that I tried using with the CoPro and I believe they were the culprit of killing them. I'm now only using 3 ports in the CoPro (4, 5, 6) for fans: 1 140mm Noctua NF-F14 exhaust back (chromax version, so not industrial), 1 120mm Noctua NF-F12 exhaus top (industrial, but 2000 rpm so it works normally, had from previous case), 1 LL120 intake in the front (the bottom one, since it's probably the one that affects the GPU the most). All of the fans in my system are 4-pin PWM.

However, ports 2, 3 (and 1 at times - more frequently than I'd like) in the CoPro (for fans) are dead. I've tested multiple fans in them (along with the ones included in the case) , none of them spin, working fans in other ports are stopped in this one, so I basically have a half working component. I'd really like to know if there's a way to recover those dead ports (why are they dead anyway? shouldn't it either fry the whole thing or nothing?)?????

I guess my issue is sort of similar, i have the same case and it is just the case fans that arent working. They were working but just stopped after like 2-3 days. If you work out how to fix it can you please post in here so i can try that too as my thread doesnt seem to get any responses.

Edit: Didnt notice you can still control yours, i cant, but mine do spin and shoot rainbows.

Edited by tehxf

However, ports 2, 3 (and 1 at times - more frequently than I'd like) in the CoPro (for fans) are dead. I've tested multiple fans in them (along with the ones included in the case) , none of them spin, working fans in other ports are stopped in this one, so I basically have a half working component. I'd really like to know if there's a way to recover those dead ports (why are they dead anyway? shouldn't it either fry the whole thing or nothing?)?????

The Commander has 6 independent fan headers, so unless you overloaded the entire unit (like via the SATA cable), it is unlikely you would fry the entire circuit board. More than likely each header has some fuse or circuit breaker to prevent this from happening.

I don't have an explanation for the end result here. The Noctua Industrial 3000 fans have always been difficult to control and pull a hefty current for single fan. Still, one should not blow the 1.0A limit. Two certainly would. I advise caution with them and if you really, really need a 3000 RPM fan, you could run them off a separate powered PWM hub with a lead back to one of the C-Pro control headers. That both frees up ports for other fans and keeps them on a separate power circuit. Also, I was surprised to see this fixed the PWM control issues for another troublesome fan, my BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 and 3 PWM models. I have not tested this on the A14 or F12 3000 rpm version and I don't have any to do so, but it might be of interest.

I would go ahead and start the RMA for the Commander. 3 ports down is too many.

It's a port issue. I now would like to find out if I can recover these "dead" ports, since the rest of the Commander Pro works fine. I have 2 Noctua 3000 fans that I tried using with the CoPro and I believe they were the culprit of killing them. I'm now only using 3 ports in the CoPro (4, 5, 6) for fans: 1 140mm Noctua NF-F14 exhaust back (chromax version, so not industrial), 1 120mm Noctua NF-F12 exhaus top (industrial, but 2000 rpm so it works normally, had from previous case), 1 LL120 intake in the front (the bottom one, since it's probably the one that affects the GPU the most). All of the fans in my system are 4-pin PWM.

A dead port is not recoverable.

It happend to me with a Silverstone 180mm fan, don't know why only that port broke (I had 3 of those fans).

As told, RMA is the only route for you.

Baio