Corsair Community

Help with Fans, Lighting Node, & Commander Pro

Shinigami82402

Hello,

As someone who is fairly new to building a gaming PC (I've built one before), I have a question about the RGB fans. I'm looking to install (9) 120 RGB fans into my new case. The fans would go as (1) in the rear, (4) on the side, and (4) on the front. Was thinking the QL fans to be exact. Along with that, I would like to purchase, when available, the iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler. The Cooler would go on the top of the case. If I wanted to install these fans, how many Lighting node cores would I need? I know a set of three comes with 1 core. Is it possible to use 1 Lighting node core and 1 commander pro for simplicity? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! :biggrin:

*The PC Specs is what I currently have bought to start building. Just need fans and the cooler.

First, check out the RGB FAQ in my sig.

You would need a minimum of 2 NoCos. You can put 6 fans on a NoCo.

If you want to go down the CoPro path, 1 CoPro can control up to 6 fans on each channel - so 12. You wouldn't need the NoCos at all but you would need RGB Fan LED Hubs and you'd need to get them separately.

https://imgur.com/n0CQZ2V

So is this the correct way on how I want to do this? First, take away the Lighting node pros and the RGB strips bc I am not doing that stuff.

Question 1: If I wanted to do the 9 RGB QL fans and NOT replace the fans on the iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT Liquid CPU Cooler, then this would be the most efficient route for me?

Question 2: If I wanted to replace the fans on the Cooler, then could I use QL fans or would they have to be ML fans?

Question 3: Lastly, if my understanding is correct (lol probably not) then all this would be controlled under ICUE?

Edited by Shinigami82402

1) Yes, if I understand you correctly. Keep in mind that the QLs come with Lighting Node Cores (as mentioned above). To duplicate the diagram (minus the strips), you'd need to Fan Hubs.

2) You can use QL fans.

3) Yes, they would be controlled by iCUE.

1) Yes, if I understand you correctly. Keep in mind that the QLs come with Lighting Node Cores (as mentioned above). To duplicate the diagram (minus the strips), you'd need to Fan Hubs.

2) You can use QL fans.

3) Yes, they would be controlled by iCUE.

Great! Well, that is the plan then. This seems like the best way for me. I do not mind that the fans come with the cores. I'd rather just use the Fan Hubs and the Commander Pro. Thank you for all your help. Now I just need to purchase 12 fans.....:D:

Great! Well, that is the plan then. This seems like the best way for me. I do not mind that the fans come with the cores. I'd rather just use the Fan Hubs and the Commander Pro. Thank you for all your help. Now I just need to purchase 12 fans.....:D:

Watch out one difference from the diagram you posted.

In that image RGB Fan Led Hub are displayed:

1.jpg

This hub comes with LL fans. With QL fans you'll get Lighting Node Cores:

2.jpg

Each has 6 ports for RGB cables but then different wires come out... both obviously have a SATA power connection, then the RGB Hub has a wire to be connected to the LED port of the CoPro, the LNC instead comes out with a USB 2.0 header.

So if you are planning to use 2 LNC (2x6=12 fans), your CoPro USB ports will be full up, no room for PSU and AIO USB headers!

I've been through the same situation in these days, as I switched from 10 LL to 10 QL fans and was stunned when I opened the 3 pack of QL thinking I'd find the RGB Hub... ended to get out of the box an internal USB Hub I was not using.

Hope this will help!

Baio

you guys know you can use either or when it comes to the LNC vs the RGB Fan LED hub though right?.. if you already own some RGB Fan LED hubs then its easier to use those...

Yes, I know... but in my case I sold the LL as used and couldn't use the RGB Hub.

Corsair has its own reasons for sure to have changed the RGB Hub for the LNC, and at the same time you perfectly got the point... the older was easier!

Unless they are gonna pull out a new CoPro with 4 USB headers...

Baio

i do believe there should be 2 options when it comes to multi pack fans... offer a pack with LNC and a pack with RGB Fan LED Hub.. i mean.. some people are buying 32 fans to fill a 1000d.. thats an awful lot of USB headers needed if on LNC's lol

I'm glad to see some more discussion on this topic. Looking at the pricing, it is just cheaper to buy 12x120mm QL fans, 2xRGB Hubs, and 1 commander pro then it is to buy the packs of (3) 120mm QL fans w/ LNC. Plus, QL fans do work with the Hubs for what I can tell and read. This just seems to work best for me but please feel free to correct me. LOL, I am noobish to this and want to be the most efficient I can with my money. Also, I'm probably going with the HX850i High-Performance ATX Power Supply — 850 Watt 80 Plus® PLATINUM Certified PSU. Does anyone have a better recommendation? I continue to thank everyone who is discussing and helping me out.

I'm glad to see some more discussion on this topic. Looking at the pricing, it is just cheaper to buy 12x120mm QL fans, 2xRGB Hubs, and 1 commander pro then it is to buy the packs of (3) 120mm QL fans w/ LNC. Plus, QL fans do work with the Hubs for what I can tell and read. This just seems to work best for me but please feel free to correct me. LOL, I am noobish to this and want to be the most efficient I can with my money. Also, I'm probably going with the HX850i High-Performance ATX Power Supply — 850 Watt 80 Plus® PLATINUM Certified PSU. Does anyone have a better recommendation? I continue to thank everyone who is discussing and helping me out.

Well, prices are slightly different from a country to another... where I live the best save-money solution would be to go for 3 packs... moreover in some countries it's quite impossible to buy spare RGB Hubs.

About the PSU choice it's difficult to say, it depends on the rest of your system... it could be undersized as well as oversized. As far as I have a Ax860i I can tell you there are very few controls over it to be managed within iCUE and they are quite useless. Obviously this doesn't mean it's a bad PSU, but don't go for it because it's the "i" series... it seems Corsair is abandoning this stuff.

Baio

Well, prices are slightly different from a country to another... where I live the best save-money solution would be to go for 3 packs... moreover in some countries it's quite impossible to buy spare RGB Hubs.

About the PSU choice it's difficult to say, it depends on the rest of your system... it could be undersized as well as oversized. As far as I have a Ax860i I can tell you there are very few controls over it to be managed within iCUE and they are quite useless. Obviously this doesn't mean it's a bad PSU, but don't go for it because it's the "i" series... it seems Corsair is abandoning this stuff.

Baio

Ok thank you for the heads up. Going with a Corsair PSU isn’t really needed. I’m looking at EVGA and Seasonic. Just want to make sure it has a good rating proper rating, wattage, etc. Thanks Baio!