Corsair Community

Commander Pro problems... need a hand!

Baio

Hi there,

Just finished to rebuild my rig but I'm going through some issues...

First of all, here is what I was trying to do:

Nuovo.jpg

Substantially I was replacing 6 LL fans (side and bottom) with 6 QL fans, at the same time I wished to group my side and bottom fans in groups of 3 to be connected to a single port in the CoPro and connect the 3 top LL fans to the AIO controller via 3 Noctua Y splitters.

This is the powered splitter cable I've used:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0067LWQ1C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before ordering them, I've tried one and worked good with LL fans... I was able to change RPM in iCUE and all 3 fans were responding.

With QL fans instead I can't manage RPM correctly like getting them to 0 RPM.

But the real problem is port #2 of the CoPro (one of the 2 ports I used with the powered splitter) is acting weird in RPM readings... I can still spin off/up/down a single QL fan but iCUE gives me absurd readings like 18k RPM when the fan should run @ 300 (and it does).

I've already tried several times to hard reset the CoPro, as long as reflashing the firmware, but had no luck. Before asking Corsair Assistance for replacement, is there anything else I can try? Between one flash and one reset also port #1 started to give me bad readings but finally got it back to work.

Thanks in advance!

Baio

EDIT:

Forgot the option in iCUE to set the kind of fan the CoPro should expect connected. I'm speaking of ports 1 and 2 where I've connected 3 fans in each port via the powered splitter.

If I set it to Automatic and Extreme I read 1600 (1) and 480 (2) RPM. Changing to Balanced give no variation (even I can hear). When changing to Silence I can hear the fans dropping a little but no so much, readings are 1500 and 479. Setting a custom curve (300 RPM fixed) I can read 600 and 490 RPM.

Selecting 3-pin brings to same readings with the custom curve but other preset does not change RPM at all.

Selecting 4-pin makes the fans act like the Automatic setting, but port 2 gives the absurd reading of 18k RPM.

Edited by Baio

All the fans you have connected are PWM, so I would go ahead and change the Commander setting to "4 pin". Auto should work, but it does so by initiating a 100% fan test at power on. No need to blast the whole system for that moment. They should start at their assigned value when set to 4 pin.

However, I don't think that is the issue with the lack of control. You may have seen elsewhere in the forum about difficulties with triple splitters and PWM control in general for a few fans. The specific model of splitter you are using does have its own power source, but I suspect it uses the same PWM sharing method as any other 3 or 4 way splitter, passing the signal from one to the next in a chain. I think this is the problem in general with any splitter on the C-Pro.

What I think you need is a power PWM hub with its own circuit board that passes the signal to each header directly versus end to end. I am using a Silverstone 8 port PWM hub with my QL from one port on the Commander and it works well. In fact, it even allowed me to use some PWM fans that do not work when connected directly to the C-Pro 1:1. I don't see my model on Amazon IT, but I think you need something more like this:

https://www.amazon.it/Kofun-Splitter-raffreddamento-Adattatore-Alimentazione/dp/B07D7RQTQX/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=PWM+hub&qid=1588078078&s=electronics&sr=1-3&swrs=ACAC46B6CD7F010A26733C90E975506E

or

https://www.amazon.it/DeepCool-FH-10-Integrato-Alimentare-Collettore/dp/B07LGWHHXV/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&cv_ct_cx=PWM%2Bhub&dchild=1&keywords=PWM%2Bhub&pd_rd_i=B077YHLDSP&pd_rd_r=40bf25ff-44ba-4b07-9bda-275e991681b9&pd_rd_w=SkKZn&pd_rd_wg=JKfAi&pf_rd_p=0d8711c5-b7fc-44bd-9c03-002298f0a9bc&pf_rd_r=YJSXF419QHY0X4FAZK5D&qid=1588078637&s=electronics&sr=1-2-718396de-69ac-46a0-9195-9669ab0086b2&th=1

I have not used either product and that is not a recommendation, just an idea of what I think you need for this. You also can try moving the powered 4 way splitter to another C-Pro header and see if it does a little better or change the control fan in the first connector with 4 pins. Sometimes you get one fan that is not responsive for whatever reason and it sends the rest of the chain down the same path.

All the fans you have connected are PWM, so I would go ahead and change the Commander setting to "4 pin". Auto should work, but it does so by initiating a 100% fan test at power on. No need to blast the whole system for that moment. They should start at their assigned value when set to 4 pin.

Thanks c-attack, I knew I could count on your replies!!

Ok, I'm gonna keep it on 4-pin.

The only issue I have is that port#2 reads 18k RPM, but I know the fans are spinning at the right rounds.

However, I don't think that is the issue with the lack of control. You may have seen elsewhere in the forum about difficulties with triple splitters and PWM control in general for a few fans. The specific model of splitter you are using does have its own power source, but I suspect it uses the same PWM sharing method as any other 3 or 4 way splitter, passing the signal from one to the next in a chain. I think this is the problem in general with any splitter on the C-Pro.

The strange thing to me is that I've tested one of these splitters and worked... very strange.

By the way, this splitter has a double wire plug to be connected to the CoPro, the power connector, then 4 header, 1 has 4 wires, the other only 3.

I don't know it this info can be useful.

What I think you need is a power PWM hub with its own circuit board that passes the signal to each header directly versus end to end. I am using a Silverstone 8 port PWM hub with my QL from one port on the Commander and it works well. In fact, it even allowed me to use some PWM fans that do not work when connected directly to the C-Pro 1:1. I don't see my model on Amazon IT, but I think you need something more like this:

https://www.amazon.it/Kofun-Splitter-raffreddamento-Adattatore-Alimentazione/dp/B07D7RQTQX/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=PWM+hub&qid=1588078078&s=electronics&sr=1-3&swrs=ACAC46B6CD7F010A26733C90E975506E

or

https://www.amazon.it/DeepCool-FH-10-Integrato-Alimentare-Collettore/dp/B07LGWHHXV/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&cv_ct_cx=PWM%2Bhub&dchild=1&keywords=PWM%2Bhub&pd_rd_i=B077YHLDSP&pd_rd_r=40bf25ff-44ba-4b07-9bda-275e991681b9&pd_rd_w=SkKZn&pd_rd_wg=JKfAi&pf_rd_p=0d8711c5-b7fc-44bd-9c03-002298f0a9bc&pf_rd_r=YJSXF419QHY0X4FAZK5D&qid=1588078637&s=electronics&sr=1-2-718396de-69ac-46a0-9195-9669ab0086b2&th=1

I have not used either product and that is not a recommendation, just an idea of what I think you need for this. You also can try moving the powered 4 way splitter to another C-Pro header and see if it does a little better or change the control fan in the first connector with 4 pins. Sometimes you get one fan that is not responsive for whatever reason and it sends the rest of the chain down the same path.

I've already picked up a XSPC splitter and I'm waiting for the second to get rid of the powered splitters.

Do you think the CoPro is broken? It should be still eligible for replacement and have to take a decision... maybe I'm gonna try the new splitters first.

Biao

One thing that I've seen on some splitters is that they have the tach connected to more than one of the target fans. Only one fan should have the tach pin (pin 3) connected. Having more than one connected will cause problems. So that's what I'd check.

I do not think the C-Pro is broken. Dev's suggestion above fits with the garbled tachometer readings, so definitely possible. I won't claim complete understanding of the PWM signal/receiver design, but some are more susceptible to variances than others. That 4 way splitter may work perfectly fine for some fans. It could also be the specific fan in the lead connector spot, which I why I suggested swapping it with one of the others on the splitter. If there is only one tach wire as their should be, the new fan will be the one sending back data.

One thing that I've seen on some splitters is that they have the tach connected to more than one of the target fans. Only one fan should have the tach pin (pin 3) connected. Having more than one connected will cause problems. So that's what I'd check.

Thanks for your replay... no, definetely the powered splitter has only 1 out of 4 headers has 4 wires, I assume that is the header that vehiculars RPM signal (what you call " tach pin"), the other 3 headers have infact 3 wires and the third is the one missing.

Baio

I do not think the C-Pro is broken. Dev's suggestion above fits with the garbled tachometer readings, so definitely possible. I won't claim complete understanding of the PWM signal/receiver design, but some are more susceptible to variances than others. That 4 way splitter may work perfectly fine for some fans. It could also be the specific fan in the lead connector spot, which I why I suggested swapping it with one of the others on the splitter. If there is only one tach wire as their should be, the new fan will be the one sending back data.

C-attack you were (as always) right.

I got rid of the powered splitters and tried one XSPC splitter (the other is on its way), so I ended up connecting 3 fans directly to the CoPro and discovered one is faulty, as any port I plug it in, that port brings weird readings.

Do you think it's something suitable for RMA?

Fans are news, bought them last week... but I immediately plugged them into the powered splitter, so I can't state if it was faulty on arrival or the powered splitter broke it.

Or is there any trick I can try to bring it back to normal readings?

Baio

So it's just one fan that is giving bad RPM readings? Likely a problem with the tachomteter wire/pin. You can RMA it. You might also be able to hide it on one of the powered splitters, as long as it is not the lead/control fan. However, it does pose a problem for normal operation since the Commander is RPM based in its fan control.

So it's just one fan that is giving bad RPM readings? Likely a problem with the tachomteter wire/pin. You can RMA it. You might also be able to hide it on one of the powered splitters, as long as it is not the lead/control fan. However, it does pose a problem for normal operation since the Commander is RPM based in its fan control.

Didn't think of "hindig" it in the splitter... must give it a try, could be a good idea since is in a 3-fans pack and I do think I have to send back the whole of them...

For the moment I'm gonna see how it responds to RPM variations...

Baio

Edited by Baio

No way... I can just make it sit on zero RPM, or my custom setting (fidex 500 RPM), any other preset/fixed/% setting don't produce any effect on the fan. I think I'm gonna try to send it back

Moreover I discovered that XSPC splitter works fine but does not allow to set the fans to zero RPM... boring.