Corsair Community

Bad Value Select

Asus A7N8X Deluxe

XP 2500+

Upgrading from 2x512 Kingston PC2700 CL3

(Not a kit, bought at seperate times, pretty generic stuff, running at 3200 speeds)

Old ram worked decent, but would not run in dual channel

Upgrade #1 to:

2xValue Select PC3200 CL2.5 (also not a kit)

Each stick would run fine by itself, but when they were both in, i received many many memtest errors, no errors when testing each individual stick. and saw a drop in performance when loading programs and benchmarking. Assumed sticks were not compatible.

RMA'd to newegg for a 2x512 kit, to assure compatibility.

Not the exact same errors persay, and i havent run a full barrage of memtest yet, but the sticks will not work together in single channel (Blue screen within 10 minutes of operation in windows), and the performance doesnt seem as good in dual yet either. I've tried fiddling with the timings, to no avail. I'll post the memtest results by the end of the day.

If i were to do it over again, i'd go with XMS, but i'm already too tired of paying restocking fees.

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup defaults in the bios setup and then set the following settings with the modules in slots 2-3

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org, but if you try to run the memory at DDR400 with a 166 MHz CPU it will cause a bottleneck in the Chipset and may generate errors that are not the fault of the memory.

Ok fine, but i forgot to mention that i've been running a 200mhz FSB for like... ever, and the XP2500+ to XP3200+ is one of the most common overclocks there are. Its an A7N8X deluxe, and the kingston ram had no problems running at these speeds.

The dual channel system w/ previous settings had 90 errors in 13 passes.

they were labeled 512MB PC2700, and had no problem running at 200mhz ( i was using 2 of them)

after changing to 166, in 1 pass of memtest there were no errors, but i'm going to do some benchmarking and see how much of an overall hit i took by lowering it from 200

The original ram was set to 3 3 3 7, 2.7V

It would run at 2.5 if i set the fsb to 166, but the 200/CL3 proved faster.

I'm not sure if both sticks were kingston, this is what i have for one.

DDR 512MB|64X64 PC2700 CL2 BFL%

(Serial#: 20001003.000057)

Thats from the order history from newegg. The other stick was Kingston value something, i dont have the stick anymore.

The new settings are exactly as you defined above, and the serial.

VS1GBKIT400

Lot#0514019-0

The voltage defaulted to 2.6V with the corsair, so i bumped it to 2.7 and retested at 200mhz, but it gave me 2 errors in 1 pass, so no go there.

Still nothing good from the memory, if i dont restart once every 12 hours or so, the computer will start to lag, even with no programs open, and minimal background programs running. There is no spyware, adware, or viruses on my machine either.

I paid to ship the first set back in, then newegg tells me i have to pay a restocking fee, then i have to pay for shipping back to me for a new kit? There's got to be a better way.

There seems to be a lot of problems on the board relating to 1gb ddr 400 kits. If i have to go through this hassle again, I'm tempted to just return them and go somewhere else....

• 2 weeks later...
I had time to run a ton of memtests, and inspect the boards, and i cant see any visible problems. Memtests will all pass in everything 166, all the slots in the board are fine, still wont boot in single channel, i think i'm just going to deal with it until i can afford some better ram of a different brand. You guys seem to be having a lot of problems with my mobo anyways. I tried all the different BIOS versions, got nothing. The board also works in DC w/ some ram i borrowed from a friend. Thanks for the help.

• Corsair Employees
Please try and call our Tech support after 8:30 AM pacific time this moring, we answer about 80% of the calls with in the first 3 rings so you should get right in as long as you are infront of your system we may be able to sort this out. And you are welcome to ask for Ram Guy.

Archived