Asus A8V Deluxe Rev. 2 BIOS 1009

Athlon 64 3200+ "Winchester"

1x512MB CMX512-3200C2PRO v1.0

1x512MB CMX512-3200C2PRO v4.1

Radeon 9800 Pro AIW

3 Hard Drives: 2 PATA 1 SATA

DVD-RW and DVD ROM

Thermaltake SilentPurePower 480 Watt

Like everyone else with an A8V Deluxe, I'm having trouble getting the system to pass POST with two DIMMs inserted, while 1 DIMM works fine. I've tested each one individually and everything works fine. It's only when I have two inserted that it fails to boot. I've tried the setup recommended in the manual as well as every other possible combination.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, setting the Memory values to the various settings recommended in threads here, including DDR Voltage at 2.8.

I realize I'm in sort of a pickle here, as it could be a defective CPU, it could be the fact that I have an A8V Deluxe, and it could be the fact that I have 1 v1.0 and one v.4.1 of the RAM.

The RAM works fine with both DIMMs in my old A7N8X-X, albeit in single channel as that's all it will support.

If I go and get a shiny new DFI or MSI nForce4 motherboard for example, can I expect problems getting the RAM to work together anyway, since it's two different revisions?

I can't RMA my CPU as I got it OEM, so I don't really feel like picking up another one just to find out it's my motherboard or that it's my RAM being two different revisions.

So what do I try next? Thanks in advance for your help.

it could be the fact that I have 1 v1.0 and one v.4.1 of the RAM.

Bingo. It's never recommended to mix modules of different revisons as they use different ICs. The newer memory controllers are VERY picky.

I'll probably go ahead and purchase another module of the v4.1, and move my 1.0 to my next oldest rig (moving that RAM down to the next one and so on :laughing: )

I guess part of the pickyness must come from the fact that the memory controller is on the CPU.

I'll post my findings here when I get the next DIMM in.

Archived