Corsair Community

Noob getting confused with set up.

rogan nz

Just about to buy a computer for my son.

Wanting to do a 280x case with 6xQL120 and then maybe some RGB strips, Lian Li strimer plus etc.

I've done a heap of reading and going round in circles on this website and I think I now need help.

The 280x RGB comes with a nopro

The QL120 triple pack comes with a lighting node core

I can put all the 6xQL fans on the lighting node core and attach to the nopro but Zotty's FAQ says if you have 6 QL fans on the Lighting Node Pro then you can not use the other RGB Channel. it becomes unavailable in iCUE.

So I figure that means I can't use a Nopro and need a copro instead. Does it mean that I need a commander pro and 1 lighting node cores for the 6 fans and then another lighting node core for other rgb devices?

Thanks

You don't have to get a Commander Pro. The C-Pro is a Lighting Node Pro + fan controller. Both have 2 RGB channels. You get the C-Pro because you want software control over your fan speeds.

A Lighting Node Core is a single RGB channel LNP + RGB Hub in one device. Check pricing in your area. The triple packs have been selling for the same as three singles, so when that's the case (or even close) you get it and take the extra controller whether you will need it or not. It can be used to add more later, as a replacement, or in this a different way to solve wiring problems.

It makes sense for you to get at least one QL triple pack with a Core. All 6 QL will onto that. It will connect back to the MB via USB 2. You still have your LNP. That will have 2 RGB channels. 1 for strips and 1 potentially for the strimmer (with some 3rd party adapter). That gives you control over all three with a little LNP and fairly small Core. No need to pack extra into the 280x.

If you do want fan control via software, the Commander would replace the LNP, but you still might use the Core for the QL and save the C-Pro RGB channels for strips, etc.