Corsair Community

Cooling advice please

ScottPlach

I'm adding two QL-140 RGB fans to the bottom of my Crystal 680X, and at the same time I'll be installing a CableMod vertical GPU bracket kit. I want to maximize airflow/cooling, but I'm not sure which case fans should be intakes vs exhaust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My current plan is this: I have the three LL120 RGB front fans that came with the case as intakes, but I removed the front glass, so only the front filter restricts their airflow. In the top of the case I have an H115i RGB Platinum with it's two fans set to exhaust. I have a LL140 RGB fan in the rear of the case also set to exhaust. My question is this, once I have the two additional 140mm fans in the bottom of the case, will I create too much negative pressure if I have them as intakes?

I also have a Commander Pro in another case that I'm not using at the moment, so I could add that to the setup if it could help. Thanks again for your responses!

P.S. I'm trying to keep a i9-9900k and an RTX 2080ti with mild overclocks cool.

Edited by ScottPlach

For the 680X and Air 740 models, front/bottom intake and top/rear exhaust works better for nearly every configuration. If you start mixing in multiple radiators then there are some different possible flow patterns, but the classic one still works the best. This also puts your QL fans with their beautiful backside face up so you can get your money's worth. Positive vs negative pressure gets to much attention and you can always tip the balance one way or the other with fan speed changes. Regardless, you are going to have a natural positive pressure and it is beneficial for this arrangement. It will help push GPU heat out the rear panel venting.

Commander Pro moves the fans to iCUE for real time speed control vs BIOS diving. It's 2 RGB channels may also be useful, depending on your plan for managing the 8 RGB fans.