Corsair Community

Pretty sure my memory just died.

My computer randomly shut off, and would not properly boot up (never showed anything on the monitor, sometimes power failed). I tried a few different things, such as resetting the CMOS (with no luck), and someone suggested bad memory. So, I pop out one stick, try turning it on, no luck. I replace it and try the next, still no luck. With the third and final stick removed, and the other 2 replaced, the computer boots up with no problem. Seems pretty obvious to me that it's simply dead memory, but of course I'm required to post this before I send it in. It's Corsair Value Select, VS256MB400, lot 0342057

Is there anything else I have to try before I can send it in for a replacement?

• Corsair Employees
What you have posted makes sense in the terms of what you have said, but with relation to computer hardware and our modules it would be close to impossible to get 2 out of 3 bad modules from us. Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

What you have posted makes sense in the terms of what you have said, but with relation to computer hardware and our modules it would be close to impossible to get 2 out of 3 bad modules from us. Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I worded my post badly. The computer booted up properly when I had placed the first two sticks back in the motherboard and removed the third, the defective one.

I think that means the rest of this information isn't important, but I'll tell you anyways. My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X, and I'm running an AMD Athlon 2500+ at 200FSB, so the memory is running at 400mhz.

• Corsair Employees
So then you are saying 2 modules run at DDR400 but 3 will not? Is that correct? If so that is normal for this platform. And I am surprized you have more than one module running in this MB at that frequency with that CPU.

So then you are saying 2 modules run at DDR400 but 3 will not? Is that correct? If so that is normal for this platform. And I am surprized you have more than one module running in this MB at that frequency with that CPU.

I had 2x 256mb modules running at that frequency for well over a year, and about 8 months ago I added 1x 512mb stick of the same type of RAM. It worked fine until now. So can I send in the dead module for replacement now?

Also, are you saying this is kind of a heavy load of RAM for my Mobo/CPU? I recently ordered a socket 939 motherboard and Athlon 64 3000+, so I assume if there was a problem before, there wont be with this upgrade, correct?

• Corsair Employees
Well I have no problem replacing your modules, but I am not convinced that will help or solve the problem. I would encourage you to test the suspect module by it self with http://www.memtest.org to be sure and if you do still get errors then please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived