Corsair Community

Can the temp sensor on the XD3 be installed on the side?

WiKDMoNKY

Another XD3 question...

I am working out setting up a drainage system for my XD3/XD7/XR5 420 kit and it would make doing that a lot easier (and cheaper) if I could move the temp sensor to one of the side ports. I know the manual says to install it on the bottom, but I can't think of a reason why it would matter if installed on the side.

If I can move the sensor, then I would just need a G1/4 male to male coupler to connect a Corsair XF Ball Valve. Then add a threaded compression fitting to the valve and run a hose to the drainage port on my tower.

If the sensor cannot be moved, then I would have to get some sort of 3-way adapter and install the sensor in one port and connect the valve to the other. This would take up more room than I want and look hokey. And why would they not just design the sensor into the pump instead of wasting the lowest port, which generally is the drain port.

What has anyone else done for drainage for the XD3?

On the XD3, left side and front are outlet. Right Front and side are inlet. Bottom is technically an inlet (which everyone uses for drainage, whom I have seen actually install one) and the top is fill port. (If you are looking at the XD3 vertically). I would imaging you could put the temp sensor on either of the side ports (right side being the better option IMHO). I did what you suggested though, which was make the bottom drainage and used a T junction to mount a sensor in the right outlet. I did that for clearance from the glass side of my case and because I needed to mount two temp sensors since I wanted to monitor my ITX loop from my main system CoPro.

49810739516_c67f186ebe_k.jpg

49810181413_a1e3ecf6cb_k.jpg