Corsair Community

Is a 420mm rad too much for a a XD3 and one more question?

WiKDMoNKY

I just installed an XD3/XD7/XR5 420 kit and so far it has been a worthy upgrade over the H115i Platinum I had before.

But, I have a couple of questions...

1. Is a 420mm radiator too big for the XD3?

When I use the configurator, it recommends a 360mm radiator for my Evolv X case, but the case can easily fit a 420mm rad on the front or top of the case.

I am pretty sure I went from the 170's (F) running OCCT to the 150's (F) switching between the H115i and the custom loop. So I have to say, it has been a great looking and performing upgrade. Both installations I used Cryonaught Liquid Metal Pro, so the TIM setup should be the same.

2. Is the XD3 supposed to show up as a independent device in iCue like the H115i did?

Currently, it only shows as a device under the CPro, not independently like the H115i did. I have to say it is a little wonky setting it up in iCue (latest version), but it seems to work.

Thanks!

Edited by WiKDMoNKY

Radiators are typically one of the lower sources flow restriction in your loop and flow design (U-shape/Layers/X-Flow) has far more impact than actual radiator size. The number of components in your loop is typically what you want to count up versus the length or size of any one component. An 8x120mm radiators is not the same 2x480 in terms of flow restriction. I would choose a 420mm too if it fit and the XD3 is plenty of pump. You've increased your radiator size and upgraded your pump. No downside to this.

As mentioned, the pump speed control will be in the Commander Pro's tab. Make sure you do the Lighting Set-up for Hydro X for whichever channel (1/2) you connected the RGB lead from the pump.

Why wouldn't the pump be a separate device in iCue like the H115i? That kind of doesn't make sense...

Hi buddy.

that rad/blocks combo with the xd3 should be fine.

and correct. the Pump only shows as a Fan in iCUE and not as a device ;)

Because it doesn't have a USB cable to communicate and exist that way. The lighting is done through the RGB wiring. The power and speed control through molex and PWM respectively. It's not meant to be a stand alone device like an AIO cooler.