Corsair Community

Abit AN7 with Dual Channel Value Select = HELP!!

KrazyKiDD

I just bought another value select vs512mb400. Now I have 2 vs512mb400 except the new one doesnt have the corsair name on the ramboard itself. The lot numbers are different? They are both set in Dual channel.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM == Both sticks get thousands of errors on Test#5 in Memtest86. (tested each by themselves)

Americas Army has been periodically freezing for a couple seconds and some games exit to desktop.

THE QUESTION == Are my sticks bad or are they not compatible with my motherboard or processor?

Mobo: Abit AN7

Processor Athlon XP-M 2400+ @2.4Ghz

VidCard: Leadtek a6600GT

• Corsair Employees
First thing, getting errors in test 5 would suggest some other problem other than memory. Second if the modules you have are not matched then I would not suggest running them in dual channel, sorry! In addition, the CPU you have is designed to run 133 MHz and it may not run stable at 240 MHz X 10 if that is what you are running it at. I would try and lower the CPU Frequency and test the modules with http://www.memtest.org one at a time to be sure it’s not some other issue.

• 1 month later...
First thing, getting errors in test 5 would suggest some other problem other than memory. Second if the modules you have are not matched then I would not suggest running them in dual channel, sorry! In addition, the CPU you have is designed to run 133 MHz and it may not run stable at 240 MHz X 10 if that is what you are running it at. I would try and lower the CPU Frequency and test the modules with http://www.memtest.org one at a time to be sure it’s not some other issue.

Thank You Ram Guy!!, I usually run my mobile at 200x11 I tried the 133x18 and didnt get any errors in test 5!! But does this hold back my ram's potential being at 133 instead of the 200(ddr400) speed?

Thanx

Well Here is what I did so far...

I sold one of my 512 sticks and so I only have 512 right now. I did this because the "lot numbers" (I dont know what those are) are different and I believe that this might be one of the reasons they dont work too well in dual channel.

(I may just buy a pair together later and sell my one stick. The pair I'll probably buy is a TWINX1024-3200C2PT!)

I also tried Prime95's torture test all night with my setup at 200x11.5 and there were no errors.

(so far so good)

----

What I found out is that in my bios...the DDR SDRAM VOLTAGE is set to "2.7" I did not change this from before so this must be my mobo's default setting. Newegg shows 2.5 for these valueselects.

What are they supposed to run at without overclocking them? Is my board puttin too much juice to them because I raised it to 2.8 and my system didnt even post.

(CPU-Z shows that my ram Frequency is 200.4 Mhz, Ratio is 1:1)

• Corsair Employees
All of our DDR 1 modules are rated up to 2.9 Volts so as long as you don’t go over that you should be fine. Some MB's just need to have a bit more voltage! So if the system is stable I would leave it where it's at other wise we can try changing the modules if you like, but this type of symptom is usually a MB or power problem.

Guess what, I bought 2 more sticks of 512 VS - My computer couldnt post at 1.8, but now with the 3 sticks installed i can select 1.8 and it boots and is stable. I get a few errors in memtest because one of the sticks is bad but it seems to be very stable. I can always go back down to the dual channel 2 sticks without errors.

Archived