Corsair Community

h115i Push/Pull with two different fan types question

kayadash

Hello, I intend on purchasing a h115i and using two different fans for push/pull.

The ML140's it comes with for pull and QL140s for push, top mounted in my case.

I am not very savvy on fan configuration, so I was wondering if anyone can answer these questions:

1) Is this viable?

2) Should I be using a splitter, or is a commander pro fine to facilitate the QL140s? I've learned they can match the speed of the "cpu fans" (in this case the ML140s) through icue, correct?

3) Does the h115i come with the appropriate screws for a complete push/pull mounting?

Any other related advice welcome. Thank you.

Yes, it is viable with most fan types. Sometimes when pair two different blade geometries on either side of the radiator you will get bit of interplay between the two in terms of pressure. The weaker one becomes resistance for the stronger and the end effect is sometimes strange noises - for those keen to listen. It is not something that has a visible performance effect. I was just doing this will ML + LL in the 120mm size and there were zero issues. I have done it with 140mm as well where there are slight hints at time, but only at high speed and when listening for it. The QL and LL have identical blades so the end result should be the same. The QL might even work out a little better for noise pairing since slight cut-away at the frame likely would prevent the pressure imbalance.

You can make the fans run from the same coolant temperature curve in iCUE (via Commander Pro) as the controller on the AIO. It may also be possible to run all four from the AIO controller by pairing QL140x2 on one fan channel and the ML140x2 on the other. You can apply two different fan curves to each if you need to make fine adjustments. That would be my preference since it ensures the fans are always using the coolant temp, with or without the software running. The C-Pro controlled pair is likely to spike to 100% on boot and shutdown when the software quits and the link between C-Pro and H115i broken.

There are currently three different "H115i" coolers at Corsair -- the H115i Pro, H115i Platinum, and H115i XT. The Platinum has 16 6-32 "long screws" that are usually about 30mm in length. The Pro does as well. I assume the XT does also, but you can probably verify by downloading the "Quick Install" manual from the product page download section.