Corsair Community

Asus A8N and two CMX512-3200C2PT's

karl101

Hello,

I've got two DIMMS that won't work together on an Asus A8N mainboard, The BIOS has been upgraded to the latest version: 1006.

One is marked:

CMX512-3200C2PT

XMS3202v1.1 024215-0

XMS3200 512MB/400MHz CL2

and the other:

CMX512-3200C2PT

XMS3202v3.1 0429032-0

XMS3200 512MB/400MHz CL2

Am I right in thinking that these won't work together because of the different version numbers, and I should of got a matched pair?

Thanks

Karl.

• 1 year later...
Motherboard A8N-SL1 SE and Corsair Memory CMX512-3200C2PT. I bought 1mb of memory as a matched pair as that was the recommended on the Corsair Web Site. I am building myself a new computer. After turning on the power with only a floppy disc drive attached, I only wanted to load up the Bios at this point, computer completely dead. After much fiddling took it into Maplin's workshop and they replaced the corsair memory with generic memory, booted up and loaded up the Bios no problem. Put back the Corsair memory, computer dead again. The suggestion is that the memory is incompatible but I bought this memory after checking on the Corsair web site and Maplin also checked to make sure that I had not got it wrong. Reading other replies is it down to the voltage but if I can not even boot up how can I set the voltage on the motherboard, or do I need to install some cheap memory just to do this. This memory is a bit to pricey just to throw away and go for a different manufacturer.

• 1 month later...

I had 2 matched CMX512-3200C2PT's in a new ASUS A8N SLI Premium this weekend when I tried to update my system with this new motherboard and this memory that works fine in my current ASUS A8V Deluxe. I got this problem of not being able to get to the BIOS setup because it appears to hang on the memory check. With no CPU, I get the "no CPU" POST warning. With no memory, I get the "no memory" POST warning. With the memory installed, I get nothing whether I have a video card installed or not. I see now that it must be having some problem with this memory.

It seems that others have have A8N's that would and some that would not work with this memory. Is this memory known to be a problem with some revisions of the BIOS? Since I could never get to the BIOS, I have no idea what version was in the MB. I have since already sent the board back for a replacement.

Should I expect another failure with the new board and this memory?

Thanks,

Ron

P.S. - XMS3202v5.2

0537094-0

• Corsair Employees
There is no problem with these modules and this MB infact I have this configuration running at my home. That would suggest there may be some problem with the MB or CPU of your New system since the memory works in another system!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just got a chance to try the replacement motherboard and it will not pass POST with this memory. I went out and bought a stick of the first cheap memory that I found on a rack at a local store and the system comes up fine; so it is definitely a problem with this MB and this recommended memory. I have version 1.02 of the motherboard, in case that makes a difference. I can't find a way to see what version of the BIOS is on this MB. None of the screens seems to list it.

Ron

Thanks for the tip on the BIOS version.

I updated the BIOS after getting the system to POST with the cheap memory. Now I am at BIOS 1009 - still don't know what the MB came with. The system will now POST and boot using the Corsair memory. There seems to be some incompatibility with earlier BIOS version and Corsair memory.

Too bad I had to buy more memory to get past this problem. I don't know whether to keep the extra memory in and run at slower timings or to take it out to get the most from the Corsair.

Ron

• Corsair Employees

I missed your post before about it not posting sorry!

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

RAM GUY,

Thanks for the response; but I think you are really losing track of this issue, now. I will summarize:

1) New MB would not get past the POST memory check with Corsair RAM. It would just stop responding.

2) I got a replacement MB and had the same result.

3) I bought a stick of off-the-shelf memory and MB POSTed fine with only that memory installed. If I put any of the Corsair in it would not POST.

4) I installed the latest official BIOS (now is at ver. 1009, do not know what was in it before I did this.)

5) Now MB will POST with Corsair and/or the off-the-shelf memory.

The memory was from my previous system (ASUS A8V Deluxe) which worked fine and it works fine now, so it does not seem to be a matter of RMAing the memory.

Ron

I installed the latest official BIOS (now is at ver. 1009, do not know what was in it before I did this.)

Now MB will POST with Corsair and/or the off-the-shelf memory.

If I want the best performance, I will use Corsair; but if I want my system to boot, I will use cheap memory! :P

So, your past statement might need amending in your mind. :p

My new quote?

If people want the best peformance, they would do well to research (on their own) any hardware before any joke/blame is put, lest in their mouth they put their foot. :p

DerekT,

I have no idea what your point is. It wasn't funny enough to be a joke, it wasn't clear enough to be an insult, and it didn't contain any information that is helpful to this issue. I am using memory that is recommended by Corsair for this MB with no qualifications about only certain versions of the BIOS or anything else, so no research indicated that there would be any problem.

RAM GUY,

It seems that there is some version of ASUS BIOS that does not get along with this memory, or that this board needs to pass POST once before it will work with this memory. Here is another account of almost exactly the same problem:

http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t16370.html

... and the solution he found was switching to some other RAM first:

From disko555 Jan 14 2006, 10:41 AM

Well, as it turns out, it was the memory in my system that wasn't working properly with this board. I had the Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT (2x512mb) sticks installed, and for whatever reason, it was not working with the board.

After thinking about the problem for a minute, it didn't make sense to me that my system worked one time if it was in fact a BIOS problem, and doing some research on my own, I found that my Athlon 64 3500+ CG version of my chip should have definitely been compatible with the 1009 BIOS that is on my board. So after finally getting a knowledgable rep at Asus, he confirmed my assumption and said it was not the BIOS which was the problem. He basically said that it was something wrong with the RAM, because the POST check goes CPU, RAM, then video card. Given the fact that no matter if a video card was installed or not, I was never getting a "no vga" error, which told him that it was basically stuck on the RAM check in the POST. So I switched out that RAM with some Corsair Value series from another system, and sure enough, it worked perfectly.

Oddly enough, once I had it up and running, and made some changes in the BIOS (to 2.5-3-3-6 for RAM settings), I was able to switch back to the TWINX1024-3200C2PT and now it works fine with any of the memory. Odd, but it works, so I couldn't be happier! Hopefully this helps out some of you others with the similar problem!

DerekT,

I have no idea what your point is. It wasn't funny enough to be a joke, it wasn't clear enough to be an insult,

That's the problem with joking on the Internet. I read your joke and thought it was not funny so I made a "joke" of my own which you did not find funny either. Certainly I did not mean it as an insult so I am pleased that you gathered that.

This is the Internet and getting angry in "digital airspace" yields no benefit to my thinking. Sometimes it is better just not to make jokes that can be more easily taken out of idiom, context and placement. My joke was meant to counter your joke, hence the posting of your joke before making mine.

Hopefully we can just allow both of our "jokes" to die well deserved ignominious deaths.

Thank you for your trouble-shooting of the DRAM and the knowledge that the timings between one set of Dram and another set of Dram would be well set to Auto before installing new Drams.

Hoping that you and your enjoy a happy and festive holiday season,

My regards,

Derek

Thank you for your trouble-shooting of the DRAM and the knowledge that the timings between one set of Dram and another set of Dram would be well set to Auto before installing new Drams.

Derek

Well, I did not do any troubleshooting of the DRAM and did not change any timings from Auto in any of my experiments. The last section of my previous e-mail (below the part where I wrote "... and the solution he found was switching to some other RAM first:") was a quote from another person posting on another discusion board.

• Corsair Employees
I have had both of these MB's and there was never any problem with our modules that I know of. Please just call our Tech support and we can try to help you find the solution, 888-222-4346 Ext "2" or 800-205-7657 or 510-657-8747!

Archived