Corsair Community

iCUE support for ASUS motherboards broke my lighting setup

corseyhr

This has been gnawing at me enough that I decided to make an account here to shed some light on this issue.

First off, I just want to say I am thrilled that iCUE is growing support for different manufacturers. I think that it's a ray of hope for us one day having a unified RGB software solution. Obviously this is a step in the right direction, and it's not the issue here.

The issue is that the way Corsair is approaching this situation is predatory and fundamentally against the best interests of me, you, and any other consumer in the market for RGB computer components.

Why's that? Because by adding support for ASUS motherboards, Corsair has made it impossible to run a lighting setup that utilizes both iCUE and ASUS AURA at the same time. There's very good evidence to suggest that this is a deliberate, strategic choice. Here's the general problem:

A piece of RGB hardware cannot be controlled by two software controllers at once. Because both AURA and iCUE want to control an ASUS motherboard, they compete for the resource and only of them can win. Because this is state-of-the-art software, the program that loses usually crashes or can't start at all. This means that if you have iCUE running, and if you have hardware on your system that is supported by AURA but not by iCUE, like, I don't know, some RGB memory sticks that are not made by Corsair, you can no longer control them.

Of course, because iCUE is the only RGB software solution that's worth a darn, and because 3/4 of your lighting setup is probably already made by Corsair, you'll choose to keep using iCUE and just bite the bullet on the rest of your hardware that no longer works.

And voila! Corsair, by sabotaging your system, has now given you a exceedingly compelling reason to go out and buy the Corsair-made alternative to your now-defunct parts. What a great way to spend that stimulus money!

Good on Corsair for having the best RGB software out there. Good on them for having the best RGB parts out there as well. But even if you have a full Corsair setup, it is absolutely unacceptable for Corsair to sabotage and reduce the functionality of existing setups. Regardless of whether it's deliberate or not, this is a terrible customer experience and everyone that's a Corsair or RGB customer should be worried about what this will lead to in the future.

First they came for the AURA users, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a AURA user.

Then they came for the AORUS users, and I did not speak out—

Because I was not a AORUS user.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

In all this wall-post I still can't understand if some component actually broke in your system...

However, a single software for controlling all RGB stuff would be great for users, but if it's not so, is not all to be blamed on Corsair (as stated here https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=194302 other brands must want it). Motherboard plugins are a first step.

Actually I'm running iCUE (plugin disabled), Aura and G-Hub at the same time... can't say it's all synched toghether (never want to), but nothing has broken untill now.

Baio

In all this wall-post I still can't understand if some component actually broke in your system...

However, a single software for controlling all RGB stuff would be great for users, but if it's not so, is not all to be blamed on Corsair (as stated here https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=194302 other brands must want it). Motherboard plugins are a first step.

Actually I'm running iCUE (plugin disabled), Aura and G-Hub at the same time... can't say it's all synched toghether (never want to), but nothing has broken untill now.

Baio

Here is what I experienced. On my ASUS Maximus XI Extreme Motherboard iCue freezes any RGB device that is not Aura or Corsair. It will also freeze any GeForce RTX RGB video cards. I have an ASUS RTX 2070 and it uses Aura RGB lighting. To fix the issue I had to turn off "Enable Plugins" in the iCue software so Aura can control the other non-corsair stuff properly. Right now I have 3 different company's RGB controlling software installed on my PC and neither wants to cooperate with each other. I have Razer, CoolerMaster, ASUS Aura and Corsair. Luckily ASUS Aura can control the Coolermaster products without issues.

Also, why can't Corsair support products that use the addressable headers on the motherboard?

For Corsair RAM, AIOs and RGB fans, they should just provide the driver and plugin only for each motherboard manufacturer.

Here is what I experienced. On my ASUS Maximus XI Extreme Motherboard iCue freezes any RGB device that is not Aura or Corsair. It will also freeze any GeForce RTX RGB video cards. I have an ASUS RTX 2070 and it uses Aura RGB lighting. To fix the issue I had to turn off "Enable Plugins" in the iCue software so Aura can control the other non-corsair stuff properly. Right now I have 3 different company's RGB controlling software installed on my PC and neither wants to cooperate with each other. I have Razer, CoolerMaster, ASUS Aura and Corsair. Luckily ASUS Aura can control the Coolermaster products without issues.

Also, why can't Corsair support products that use the addressable headers on the motherboard?

For Corsair RAM, AIOs and RGB fans, they should just provide the driver and plugin only for each motherboard manufacturer.

I can't answer for VGA cards, mine is a Sapphire blower, no RGB management on that.

I have Corsair's stuff (AIO, PSU, CoPro, RGB Hubs and fans), Asus motherboard, G.Skill RGB ram and mouse, mousepad, keyboard, speakers and headset all RGB from Logitech.... I can't sync up all this stuff but none of them 'compete' with each other. Obviuosly I had to disable iCUE plugin.

Obviously every user dreams a unique enviroment to mamage all RGB components in his system... but this envolves many different competing companies that should cooperate. And that is not easy for sure.

As far as I know, this is the only official position from Corsair:

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=194302

They plainly state they can't do nothing to control RGB components from another brand without the producer cooperation.

You ask why Corsair does not provide his own plugin to Asus? OMG, I can't think of driving my RGB fans through Aura o Armoury Crate!!

Baio

Edited by Baio