Corsair Community

H100i Pro RGB - Pump Speed Fluctuating

zain

I have a H100i Pro RGB which I bought 3 months ago and I have recently noticed that the pump speed doesn't remain consistent anymore. That is to say when setting the pump to Extreme in iCue for example, the pump speed will vary from 2700rpm to 2730rpm to 2670rpm, rather than just staying at one constant speed. The same behaviour occurs when set to Balanced and Quiet, and you can hear the change in tone.

Is this normal behaviour or should I be concerned about the pump going out?

No, that is normal — at least for now. The Pro series coolers poll every 2 seconds, round the value, and then multiply by 30 to get the predicted average pump speed. That gives you those very clear +-30 RPM changes up or down. Rather than an actual 60 rpm change, this is really smallest registered change one tick up or down. Most people will see this across all three pump modes in the same +-30 intervals.

However, if you start to see drops or increases of +-60 or 90, then it may be time to take a look at things and make a more in depth assessment.

However, if you start to see drops or increases of +-60 or 90, then it may be time to take a look at things and make a more in depth assessment.

Thanks for your detailed reply. The pump speed sometimes spikes all the way from 2730/2670 to 2820. Should I be worried?

Edited by zain

I don’t think so at this point. Most people will get stuck between two integers. The real data is 71.4, 71.6, 71.7, 71.4 revolutions per 2 seconds and then that rounds out to 71-72-72-71 x30 or 2130, 2160, 2160, 2130. You are covering a slightly wider range, but you are also running the highest speed so it makes sense there is slightly more variation in the interval.

Try running balanced for a bit and see if it tightens up or still spans a few revolution notches. Most people will sit at 2130/2160 back and forth. That is the other thing to watch for. Going back and forth between two values like 2760-2790 and back and forth is normal. If your real time readings start to go 2730-2820-2760-2850-2700-2790 where it is skipping over intervals each 2 seconds, that is a bit erratic. It’s different than my pump mostly runs 2760-2790, but every now and then I get a deviant value 2850 or 2700. Also be wary of the graph. The scale automatically adjusts and since the range is narrow, each 30 rpm shift looks like a mountain. It’s still just a few tenths if a revolution different over 2 seconds.